Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Small group of DnD players incoming

Go down 
+8
Sunflower
Vilesinger
Falling Leaf
jpetticolas
Dormouse
Lichy Popo
Lebbon
Evocati
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikoto

Mikoto

Small group of DnD players incoming Empty
PostSubject: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 pm

[i]Hello Dalelanders[Corny I know],
I'm a person that RP'd for a while starting with PnP D&D. I already did some light RP in NWN1 but from what I'm reading things work differently than how I did it since this is a PW. I have a small group of friends that is also interested in RPing in the NWN community and believe me, we wont be a problem to any of you. I just want a nice path in helping us out in getting used to new lands since this is our first time RPing in a PW NWN server unlike the ones from NWN Connection.
Back to top Go down
Sunflower

Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 12:36 am

Welcome and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We are here for the players.
Back to top Go down
Evocati

Evocati

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 am

Nice I got PnP experience daring back to 1st edition and most in FR setting (shows old age)....welcome
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 am

Evocati wrote:
Nice I got PnP experience daring back to 1st edition and most in FR setting (shows old age)....welcome

I come from AD&D [2nd Edition - modified ruleset]. I would like to know are the event with the DMs the same way as the DnD Grouping? With rolls and such
Back to top Go down
Lebbon

Lebbon

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:58 am

Hey there!

You may also ask me anything in game! I'm one of the player helpers in this here lands! We help players! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lichy Popo

Lichy Popo

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:35 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Lichy Popo

Lichy Popo

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:42 am

Mikoto wrote:
Evocati wrote:

I come from AD&D [2nd Edition - modified ruleset]. I would like to know are the event with the DMs the same way as the DnD Grouping? With rolls and such

There are rolls yes, but they do not dominate the rp of an event necessarily. DM's usually come up with all kinds of interesting ways to use your stats and skillpoints, and if you wish to roll a skill or ability or interact with a NPC (non-player-character) then it can be helpful to send a "tell" (private in-game message) to the DM so that they can be ready to answer/react to that roll or inhabit the NPC in question.

Different DM's have different preferences as to this also.
Back to top Go down
Sunflower

Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:55 am

And this is why I love our Player Helpers. We have some very knowledgeable helpers here they make our job so much easier and fun.
Back to top Go down
Dormouse

Dormouse

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:58 am

Mikoto, I aint played much tabletop pnp at all but from all that I hear it's similar in some ways and very different in others.

the lack of one single dm means that things are much looser in a way. More ungoverned, but perhaps also much more freedom.

It -will- be quite a bit different from pnp I think; Hope you enjoy the change ! Please feel free to ask any questions Smile
Back to top Go down
jpetticolas

jpetticolas

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 am

Welcome to the jungle!
Back to top Go down
Falling Leaf

Falling Leaf

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 8:13 am

More RPers! cheers
Back to top Go down
Vilesinger

Vilesinger

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 am

Always love to see new players join the fun! I recommend you start with a simple Human and play in the lands around Shadowdale first. This is most fun and easy place to start. Send me a tell in game and I will be happy to answer your questions!

Nanga
Back to top Go down
Sunflower

Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 am

If you know the lore you can almost play any type of character. If you need to know more about the lore there are plenty of player helpers and DMs that can help you and your friends. All of our DMs are very active and are quite knowledgeable.
Back to top Go down
pyro

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 am

Hey!

I'm a non-videogamer who got into NWN2 due to a lot of spare time and the dissolution of my pen and paper group. I don't know if you're like me, with NWN2 being your first seriously played video game, or if you're an old hand... but there will definately be differences from pen and paper.

Pen and paper, of course, provides much more freedom, because you can do whatever you want. Here you're restricted by server content and engine limits, so make sure you understand the lore and make a character that will fit in well and have something to do without DM help.

There are a few rules here and there about mechanics and builds, but in general, there is no sense of a DM trying to make sure the character are well balanced against each other. Out of that, a certain power-gameyness has emerged, especially amongst competitive factions like drow. This power building is also often accompianied by great RP, but at the end of the day you must realise people won't build like they're playing P&P, they'll build like they're playing WoW. If you want a build that will last in the PvP that many find themselves in, take this into consideration. The general hierarchy of P&P still exists, with casters being king. That being said, RP builds are generally more fun in every situation other than being on the recieving end of a Meteor Swarm, and I play one myself, so I encourage building based on RP like a typical P&P game.

DM love/events can come frequently, or be few and far between. Every event I have participated in has been great fun, but if you want to get some event-like RP most times you play, make sure you join a faction that has a dedicated DM. Being in the right faction will get you remarkably better gear, way more XP, and a lot more RP opportunities than someone who's in an ignored faction, or not in one at all. This means doing some research and planning your character for the faction from the start, usually.

Social skills are used quite differently, with PCs being acceptable targets, and Sense Motive not existing. Expect others to roll Diplomacy, Bluff and Intimidate on you from time to time (I'm assuming you're familiar with the 3.5 skillset). There is an ongoing discussion as to how to respond to a social skill roll, and you should be following that if you want to build a character relying on his social skills. Generally:
Spot, Listen or Bluff counters Bluff
Diplomacy or a Will Save counters Diplomacy
Intimidate or a Will Save counters Intimidate.
There is a 3.5 pen and paper rule for characters responding to Intimidate, but it's not put in place here, and differing reactions to social skills means their mileage may vary in practice.

There are a million other differences, when something relevants pops to mind, I'll add it to the list.

Hope you have fun; I've found the transition from tabletop to computer occasionally bumpy, but WELL worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sunflower

Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:47 am

And most importantly....read the rules. One of our little sayings is ignorance is not an excuse. So please for your own sake read the rules.
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Ah, that helps a lot from the above posts. Also are there still monsters roaming around for the small group of adventurers or the only way to get XP is from pure RP
Back to top Go down
pyro

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:57 pm

There are lots of monsters, and the "standard" way to get XP is to go out hunting for them. That being said, RP and quests can also provide lots of XP, so you don't have to feel the need to go out an grind.

After level 20, XP from monsters stops, and you have to rely on quests, RP and DM events.
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 pm

pyro wrote:
There are lots of monsters, and the "standard" way to get XP is to go out hunting for them. That being said, RP and quests can also provide lots of XP, so you don't have to feel the need to go out an grind.

After level 20, XP from monsters stops, and you have to rely on quests, RP and DM events.

And I'm guessing the quests are from DMs correct?
Back to top Go down
pyro

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

No no, static quests like the ones in the single player game a scattered around the world. These quests reset every week or so, and eventually cut off when you reach a certain level.
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 pm

pyro wrote:
No no, static quests like the ones in the single player game a scattered around the world. These quests reset every week or so, and eventually cut off when you reach a certain level.

Ah, I see it now. So it's a mixture of RP and static which suits both needs but it usually falls back down onto the RP setting

EDIT: Are there even any monsters around shadowdale? o.O
Back to top Go down
Dredi

Dredi

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 pm

There are but so players can move between the more social areas regardless of level, most of the time they are in their own areas, just off the main roads.

If you ask around ic, i'm sure someone could point you right.
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Any direction you want to point us in? we been running around looking for quests and stuff
Back to top Go down
Dredi

Dredi

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:07 pm

hmm... The inn, on the third and basement floors, - the cook may have something for you too.
Back to top Go down
Mikoto

Mikoto

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Dredi wrote:
hmm... The inn, on the third and basement floors, - the cook may have something for you too.

Thanks a lot Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DBTheMask

DBTheMask

Location : The Great Rift (At least, that's the FR equivalent)

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Mikoto wrote:

EDIT: Are there even any monsters around shadowdale? o.O

Do the Zhents count? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small group of DnD players incoming   Small group of DnD players incoming Empty

Back to top Go down

Small group of DnD players incoming
Page 1 of 1