Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Male cleric of Lloth in faerun

Go down 
+7
Vanelier
Arjay
nlyh
devious78
FuzzieBunny
Tibus_Heth
_Selvetarm_
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Grave_Zero

Grave_Zero

Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Lol, why are you want to close this topic so badly? You brought up the subject, to which the community responded.. (As far as I know this is why the forum is for Razz ) Do not be offended immediately, if you didn't hear what you wanted. No offense just saying...
On topic, as the saying goes: The exception proves the rule. (Its true in this topic as well)
Back to top Go down
devious78

devious78

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Didn't want to close the thread until it started going off subject. When we start talking about authors and other subjects, it is time to begin a new thread that is about those topics. I also felt it an insult for people to respond without reading, or possibly understanding my original post.

Grave, you yourself said, if we implement this to the server, when I was very clear in saying I don't want to change the rules of the server. Also, you said if we are talking theoretically... Since when is it still considered theory when there are facts to back it up, which has been provided by several people. It's just like saying conspiracy theory, when there are facts... That is just flat out conspiracy.
Back to top Go down
EVIL

EVIL

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:09 pm

Shadowwolf wrote:
After some digging here you go:

Militant Myrlochar, Order of Soul Spiders

The Militant Myrlochar, also known as the Order of Soul Spiders, is an elite military order composed solely of male crusaders and found in the few dark elven cities where Lolth is revered and males are permitted to enter her priesthood. The Militant Myrlochar directly serve the ruling Matron Mothers of the city in which they are based as agents of uncontrolled destruction, tirelessly hunting any creature designated as their quarry or who interferes with their pursuit and wreaking havoc until recalled, which rarely happens, or destroyed, their most common fate.

This came from the Forgotten Realms Wiki on Lolth.

Shadow

Hey Shadow,

I too have came across this paragraph before, but notice there is no source cited in it. Unsure if it came from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 or even a Dragon magazine. So I would probably disregard this until we would get a source that has some creditability.
Back to top Go down
EVIL

EVIL

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 pm

A real quick thing to think about is, often there are exceptions to the rule(s). There is always that special snow flake and something bizarre that really is odd. Probably the most bizarre npc I have ran across is Qilue Veladorn. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Qilu%C3%A9_Veladorn

Though born to a human couple, she was full-blooded drow, due to the bizarre events surrounding her birth.[3] Her father killed her mother when he found out that she had been possessed by Mystra, the goddess of magic. Mystra, seeking to keep the child alive, came upon a pregnant drow priestess of Eilistraee whose child had died in her womb, and made a pact with Eilistraee that served both their intentions.

does this mean now it is okay to have drow born to human parents? I certainty hope not. So remember even if it has happened in a book or there is someone special running around, I hope we can remember some things are meant to be on the fringe.
Back to top Go down
devious78

devious78

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm

I also don't appreciate being insulted... (saying I got offended because I didn't hear what I wanted). In fact I gave merit to the responses from people that did read the original post. That original post was not a question, merely a statement that welcomed anyone to show some evidence to disprove it. Everyone that posted agreed that it was absolutely possible, and instead turned it into a debate on how powerful a cleric Rai-Guy is, which wasn't even in the subject of the OP. then went all side tracked talking about which author is better and if Lloth favored Drizzt, which also wasn't the subject of the post. This is why I requested a lock. No one really denied that it is possible, so what are we even debating?
Back to top Go down
devious78

devious78

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Shadowwolf wrote:
Saying I read it in a novel is like saying I read it on the internet... does not make it true.

I would hope when referencing lore we are useing material that would be considered resource material and from my own personal opinion... Novels are not resource material.

Great stories and such and some actually might follow some actual lore but in the end they are just really good stories and sometimes stray from lore to remain a good story.

So I will stay with the idea of NO Males can not be clergy of Lolth.

Shadow

I do consider novels to be reference, especially when WOTC adopts the characters and even creates NPC stats for them for use in the pnp game.
Back to top Go down
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Anyone who totally disregards novelizations is wrong in doing so. The Novelizations set the basic background story. Most modern source material is developed with the novelizations specifically in mind or developed around them (ie, use character or events from the books in the source material backgrounds). Almost every major FR NPC has their personality detailed in the novelizations, most are introduced in the novels, not the source material.

Also, the Dark Elf Trilogy was released before the 2nd Edition Drow of the Underdark and Menzoberanzan boxed set. These source materials were almost entirely based off of R.A. Salvatore's works. Drow of the Underdark was published in 1991, after the dark elf trilogy was complete.

The character Drizzt, is even based on a character of the FR Moonshae Trilogy.

While I can agree the Novelizations often involve the writer's liberty with there own personal point of view over Lore, and should not be considered as a definitive piece of source material, they in no way should be discounted. To do so would be like looking at a an opinion on game mechanics written by Gary Gygax and saying his view should not be counted since it is not in a source book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male cleric of Lloth in faerun   Male cleric of Lloth in faerun - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Male cleric of Lloth in faerun
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2