Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question:

Go down 
+4
gandruff
DM Faithless
DM Defiler
Max Hatchet
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Max Hatchet

Max Hatchet

Question: Empty
PostSubject: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:23 am

i thought Drow and Surface elves couldnt mate?
Back to top Go down
DM Defiler

DM Defiler

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 am

Apparently they can, I also looked into this myself a while back for a character idea I had, and found mention of a half drow half wood elf merc, also when I was talking to the Jearle bunch a while back it was brought up, personal I to not see any reason why its not possibale between the two subraces.
Back to top Go down
DM Faithless

DM Faithless

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 am

It's completely possible, but Drow blood is "dominant" when the two mate. 99/100 times, the child looks completely Drow, or at least, has dark/black skin rather than any hue of a surface elf.
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:14 am

As faithless said drow blood is a lot more potent probably because of the demon heretige in there (See wendonai). So a union between drow and darthiiri would end up with a half-drow with quite drow features (I say half drow because I do belive they dont get any of the spell like abilities or the like).
In addition if a half-drow and a drow mate the drow blood overpowers the rest and a full drow is produced.
Back to top Go down
Max Hatchet

Max Hatchet

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:32 pm

i'm not wishing to dispute what's been decided on here and am happy to go along with it

i am more just curious as to the canon on it

would have thought there might be quite a few drow/elf hybrids around but there is no template for it and no way to really create one (i am not asking the question because i am lookiing to create one btw)

there might be loads of elf/drow Eilstraee worshippers?

Back to top Go down
farinal

farinal

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Half Drows are on page 62 of Races of Faerun book but it presumes that the other half is human and not elf. I don't know if half elf/half drows are different than half human/half drows.
Back to top Go down
Max Hatchet

Max Hatchet

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:06 pm

farinal wrote:
Half Drows are on page 62 of Races of Faerun book but it presumes that the other half is human and not elf. I don't know if half elf/half drows are different than half human/half drows.

yes its half elf/half drows i am meaning

well i presume they would. they would be shorter than surface elves for starter

i dont see anything about them in the normal books, just where drow have mated with humans

i dont see anything that they can't mate either, my previous thinking on that may have come from rule on an old NWN1 server like Myth Drannor

its a massively interesting subject in drow lore but there is nothing i can see on the subject
Back to top Go down
farinal

farinal

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Well probably because it is a very, very rare case. Even more rare than a drow and human mating, which is also very rare. The main difference would be lifespan I think. Half Elf/Half Drow would live longer, just like a normal elf/drow than a Half Human/Half Drow.
Back to top Go down
Max Hatchet

Max Hatchet

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 pm

but why is it so rare?

among Eilstraee followers it might be very common

also if demon blood is so dominant why arent half human drow completely black?
Back to top Go down
Lichy Popo

Lichy Popo

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Perhaps humans do not merge with the 'demon blood' as well physiologically, although lore seems to think they get the evil pretty handily.

Anyway obviously there ARE a lot of drow with "faerie" blood running around, the drow side is just dominant so you have no idea and they just seem like regular drow.
Back to top Go down
MustangSVT
Admin
MustangSVT

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 5:52 pm

I've read somewhere before that elves breed purely in general. For example, I haven't read lore of any "half-wood elf, half-moon elf" or any type of hybrid races between the various elf sub-races, so presumably elves breed pure (that is, if elf X and elf Y mate, the result would be either X or Y, not a hybrid). I would guess the same applies here, if a drow and some other type of elf of type X mate, it would result in either a pure drow or a pure elf of type X.

Half-drow and half-elf specifically refers to the result of drow/human and elf/human breeding respectively.

I don't really have a source for this, but this is what I remember reading in the past.
Back to top Go down
farinal

farinal

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:23 pm

If that's the case then the child of a drow and an elf would be drow because of the "stronger blood" thing.
Back to top Go down
devious78

devious78

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 7:39 pm

In the Drizzt novels they mention it. And you're correct. They are generally pure drow in appearance, but they suggest that the eye colors other than red reflect some elven heritage... Such as his lavender eyes.
Back to top Go down
Max Hatchet

Max Hatchet

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:03 pm

MustangSVT wrote:
I've read somewhere before that elves breed purely in general. For example, I haven't read lore of any "half-wood elf, half-moon elf" or any type of hybrid races between the various elf sub-races, so presumably elves breed pure (that is, if elf X and elf Y mate, the result would be either X or Y, not a hybrid). I would guess the same applies here, if a drow and some other type of elf of type X mate, it would result in either a pure drow or a pure elf of type X.

Half-drow and half-elf specifically refers to the result of drow/human and elf/human breeding respectively.

I don't really have a source for this, but this is what I remember reading in the past.

that actually does make the most sense, there really is no FR published canon sourcebook on half elf /half drow and that seems to provide the best explanation and works well alongside the no "half-wood elf, half-moon elf" that you mention.
Half drow and half elf like you say is always in regard to half human

its in a few places when you google it: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22forgotten+realms%22+%22elves+breed+true%22&oq=%22forgotten+realms%22+%22elves+breed+true%22&gs_l=hp.3...1719.17214.0.17416.45.41.3.0.0.2.896.11417.1j12j10j6j3j2j3.37.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.Q4gkl4r01Kc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=8452a943ad72eb32&bpcl=35466521&biw=1318&bih=902
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question:   Question: Empty

Back to top Go down

Question:
Page 1 of 1