Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?

Go down 
+6
LoudDave
Jeremor
Astegard
Fuligar
gandruff
Kelticraven
10 posters

Should we create a School for the Mages & Fighters of the Drow Camp?
Yes
A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote1135%A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote12
 35% [ 6 ]
No
A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote1165%A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote12
 65% [ 11 ]
Unsure, need more info before voting.
A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote110%A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? I_vote12
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Kelticraven

Kelticraven

A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? Empty
PostSubject: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am

In a Drow city, like Menzoberranzan, you would find a combined set of buildings that held 3 different type of drow in it. It was known as Tier Breche (The Academy). In it would be The Arach-Tinilith (The Temple of Lolth), The Sorcere (Mage's school) and The Melee-Magthere (The Fighter's School). Priestesses would spend 50 years at Arach-tinilith, Wizards would spend 30 years in the Sorcere and Fighters would spend 10 years in the Melee-Magthere. (Times taken from page 123 of "A Reader's Guide to R.A. Salvatore's The Legend of Drizzt")

The reason I bring this up is that in our camp we have the Yath, the camp's version of the Arach-Tinilith. But nothing that I can see for the Wizards & Fighters. So I was thinking..why not combine the 2 into one unit, for the time being? To help train and mold the Jaluks into beings more fitting to serve the Yath. And should the time come, when the Drow of the camp finely enter the city..then the school could be split once again.... yes...no?
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:44 am

I believe this has been brought up once already that one is in the works and one person has already been training people and trying to organize setting up such
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:28 am

While the three training grounds are technically connected, they are not physically connected. They are seperated for a reason, as each holds a specific reason for their existance. As a warrior of Melee, one does not go into the Sorcere in their lifetime except during the 6 month training they spend in their last 10 years of training. Otherwise, it would be uncommon to see one there. Vice versa holds tru in the other way.

As far the Temple grounds go, they are sacred and anyone other then the most highest ranking priestess would see the most sacred parts of the temple.

It would be a mistake to combine the two in such a way.
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 am

If im right in saying sometimes wizards from the sorcere are sometimes sent into the melee-magthere to get basic combat training so if they ever get into close range combat they well don't just die
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:34 am

Correct, the last year of all trainees is split in two...to do 6 months in each of the branches they were not initially trained in.
Back to top Go down
Astegard

Astegard

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:05 am

No this should be done when the city is retaken. Been in camp long enough. If we go by this path we are basically making a new city instead of retaking the old one. And there is already far to few focus retaking the old city.
Back to top Go down
Jeremor

Jeremor

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 7:43 am

Chakos has tried to set up lessons in camp before... only got two people to begrudgingly listen for about half an hour.

If there's no actual general interest in learning, I don't see the point in making up a new thing to teach people. I'm not going to waste my time, frankly. The two quel'saruks already train their own houses(I'm assuming in the case of Dabel'kith, of course), and it's a rare newbie that stays Shebali very long. The only training anybody wants to do is grinding in the dead pits, you talking at them feels like a waste of time on both sides.
Back to top Go down
LoudDave

LoudDave

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:21 am

Jeremor wrote:
Chakos has tried to set up lessons in camp before... only got two people to begrudgingly listen for about half an hour.

If there's no actual general interest in learning, I don't see the point in making up a new thing to teach people. I'm not going to waste my time, frankly. The two quel'saruks already train their own houses(I'm assuming in the case of Dabel'kith, of course), and it's a rare newbie that stays Shebali very long. The only training anybody wants to do is grinding in the dead pits, you talking at them feels like a waste of time on both sides.

I voted yes but i apologize. after reading this i totally agree, the interest for this in camp is low.
I would say though, dont let this poll stop whomever is building the city from putting in the mages and fighters guild buildings.
But ya, of the few times i've tried to teach people, its been similar so whenever it comes up i try to keep it on the shot and sweet side. Perhaps even going with them to the deadpits and rping lol at them while they train.
Back to top Go down
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 am

While I agree all three schools should be set up, I do not believe we will be able to really do this in full effect until we have the structures themselves.

For now, we set the ground work, but it is difficult to run an academy with out one. By ground work, I mean picking a couple of masters and have them simply start training the masses.

Quote :

With out physical academies, most training will have to be paroling the wilds (grind). When we retake the city, we will have the basic foundation laid and can begin manning the buildings. We can then actually schedule academy specific events and such. For now, the class room is the mushroom forest, the dead pits, etc.
I see it as like a field trip, Saruk may speak of past encounters in an area and what strategies were used to defeat it. a faeruk may speak of the different mushrooms and levels of Faerzress in the area, etc.

We are slowly beginning to lay a structure for this, but we are taking our time with it, as we should.
Back to top Go down
Gildren

Gildren

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:03 am

Just a quick note - re take Szith Morcane or Maermydra and their will be these buildings Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Assistant DM_MindFlayer

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Gildren wrote:
Just a quick note - re take Szith Morcane or Maermydra and their will be these buildings

Hopefully by then my Toolset skills will be competent enough to assist Gildren who needs a lot of pats on the back for the hard work they've committed to this setting.
Back to top Go down
Kelticraven

Kelticraven

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 pm

DM_MindFlayer wrote:
Gildren wrote:
Just a quick note - re take Szith Morcane or Maermydra and their will be these buildings

Hopefully by then my Toolset skills will be competent enough to assist Gildren who needs a lot of pats on the back for the hard work they've committed to this setting.

I see a difference from the votes vs the words. I do hope that I did not step on some toes with this poll.
I was simply trying to see if there was:
  1. A) Interest
  2. B) Already something in the works
  3. C) No Interest at all

Also I was trying to give back to the players & camp.
If you wish I will end the poll and ask to close the thread.

Raven
Back to top Go down
Tibus_Heth

Tibus_Heth

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:34 pm

The fact that these buildings exist in Maerimydra, and thus need to be modelled, doesn't affect the validity of your poll, imo.

That said, I voted no - with a view to re-assessing this once Maerimydra is reclaimed. Something just feels off about moving towards making the camp a micro-city when in theory it's a launchpad to retake the old one.
Back to top Go down
Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Assistant DM_MindFlayer

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Yes, because all of the time (and it takes time) that we could spend constructing the city or outpost would be essentially wasted on making advanced buildings for a refugee camp. Let's get the outpost and city done, get the campaign leaning towards recapture and then Thr fruits of labor would be realized.
Back to top Go down
Kelticraven

Kelticraven

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

DM_MindFlayer wrote:
Yes, because all of the time (and it takes time) that we could spend constructing the city or outpost would be essentially wasted on making advanced buildings for a refugee camp. Let's get the outpost and city done, get the campaign leaning towards recapture and then Thr fruits of labor would be realized.

I do understand that.. in as I am trying to learn the toolset to help with the creation of Underdark maps!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?   A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp? Empty

Back to top Go down

A joint school for Mages & Warriors of the camp?
Page 1 of 1