Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training on the edge of the city

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

Training on the edge of the city Empty
PostSubject: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 5:46 am

((Open RP, feel free to join in))

Celedien, the elven Paladin that arrived in Myth Drannor only a few months ago, can currently be found training on the edge of the city of Myth Drannor.

Clad in her usual armor, while her helmet and shield rests against a nearby stone, along with her cloak and backpack. Along with that, she appears to have gathered or made several easy training dummies, though most are already in a bad shape, so she might need to collect some more soon.

The elf seems to have made great progress from where she was when she arrived, when she used to return home heavily bruised from fighting the goblins in the Cormanthor forests, to now swinging her blade with both elegance and deadly focus, her fighting style turning into a deadly dance, in which her blade sings in the air, as cut after cut leaves yet another dummy broken and only suitable for firewood.

Anyone who has a deep knowledge with elven fighting styles, would likely be able to identify that the Paladin uses a mixture of several well known styles, along with some that would be considered ancient. Not used for many generations, as they were to ineffective, however Celedien seems to practice them never the less, though maybe for other purposes than using them in battle.

The dance continues, until there's nothing left of the dummies but firewood, at which point Celedien goes over and leans against her shield, looking over the wood with a small smile.

Back to top Go down
http://Sallingmarine.dk
Skyiba

Skyiba

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 am

blue would watch at a distance but say nthing and shortly after *nod to her* and go about his business..
Back to top Go down
Vall Moon

Vall Moon

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm

The Keeper would eventually pass the area and check Celedien many styles with interest for a moment, before return to his routines in the officer or conciul chambers.
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Celedien greets both with proper respect, and as they move on, she returns to her training. After having pilled out all the firewood, and moving it off to the side, and then begins training in merely fighting the air, or some imaginary enemies.
Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm

A tall hooded and cloaked figure in comfortable, yet pleasing looking traveling tunic watches the display in silence the entire time, making note of the the approach and departure of both elves, especially the Keeper.

After they depart and the targets have been reduced to firewood, he steps forward and draws his hood back slightly, revealing the features of a golden haired Sun Elf. Oddly enough his right eye glints with an emerald hue, while his left is distinctly golden in color.

His lips curl into a soft smile as he applauds, then speaks in clear tenor voice as he folds his arms.

"Bravo, Etriel. Your skills are exceptional, and the mix of styles rather effective, though I'd imagine some purists would cringe at what they see in your kerymvian; I'd imagine they'd dismiss it as biir-kerym, but then everyone's a critic, no?"

A good natured smirk accompanies the less than flattering term ("Junk Sword"), softening it's impact.

"A blending of ... it was not easy to follow precisely, but, Kery'faen, Natha kerymvian, a touch of Mhaor'arkerym and Gyrlaszthraen, or Illeleste perhaps? Kerym syolkiir it certainly was not, or my eyes fail me!"

"Whatever it was, it was impressive. But I see that you are out of targets! Perhaps I can remedy that somewhat with a simple trick my sire taught me in my youth, if you'll permit me, that is?"

With the last words, the Elf utters arcane syllables and gestures with his left hand. Four glowing spheres of light, appearing almost like will-o’-wisps, float into view before him and gently drift a few feet towards Celedien. They remain aloft, dancing back and forth invitingly, occasionally flitting a foot or so forward and back at the speed of thought.

There was a hint of gentle, playful challenge in the movements of the globes, as well as in the glimmering left golden eye of the smiling Elf.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:39 am

Celedien looks to the newcommer, rather than the lights, looking over her sword

I imagine you know that a person rarely uses their normal swords for fighting like this, just one similar in weight, reach and form. And you'd be correct on most of your observations, however I do not practice Mhaor'arkerym, but instead it's similar twin. Ivae'La, which while similar, focuses more on the use of the swords pommel as a means of both power and aim, rather than relaying on the use of only the hilt.

And with that, Celedien looks back to the floating lights

If you wish to try, then go ahead.

Celedien enters a battle ready stance, her sword held down her side of her right leg, and also suddenly the sword gain an golden glow around the edge, radiating divine force. And then give the Sun elf a nod to begin.

Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 am

"I do hope that is not disdain, or something worse... that I detect in your tone Etriel," the Sun Elf smiled easily enough, twirling his left forefinger a bit and making the globes retreat back towards him some distance.

"I mean no offense, though perhaps my choice of words might be considered rude. But I see you are not the frivolous sort..." he paused, regarding the Elf maiden appraisingly, then eyeing the glowing blade with a more subtle smile.

"A marvelous sword you hold, it seems. Very well; a sober and serious thing it is to wield blade as a Quessir, especially in these times, in this place, where enemies and danger are all too easily within reach!

With another flick of his fingers, a thought and a breath, the 4 globes of light move towards Celedien once more.

"Let these globes then provide for you a more fitting challenge, than the unmoving wooden targets or the shadows and empty air around us."

With that, the lights suddenly swarm about the Elf maiden, flitting about as quickly as the most fleet footed sprinter might. The 4 well illumined targets begin their dance in front of, behind, and on all sides of the warrior, simultaneously both inviting and elusive.
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 am

Celedien smiles as the orbs flick around her, but instead merely watches them as she comments

Not disdain, nor anger. And this sword is no more mighty than it's wielder, being a Kerynsuoress of our high lord does come with some advantages.

As quickly as she finishes that sentence, with a flick of her wrist, the blade swings in an elegant Arc, leaving behind a small trail of light, cutting right through the light on her left side. And within the same breath, the elf spins, and with one hand on the hilt, and another on the pommel, she brings the sword down through another of the orbs, and then quickly goes back to her original stance, observing the lights.
Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 pm

((not sure if these forums have dice rollers? anyway, rolled for the 4 globes using very loose 'rules' since there's really no rules for Dancing Lights used in this way, mostly for flavor and so it's not totally arbitrary))

The Paladin's blade hums through the air and seems to make contact with two of the orbs of light squarely and precisely.

"A Holy Warrior... that would explain some things."

The Elf smiles a touch and nods as he observes her keenly.

"I am curious to see how Ivae'La fares against attacks. Shall we see?"

A brow knits slightly in concentration as the globes are directed to go on the offensive, and the four globes respond instantly, swooping in towards the paladin each from different angles: one high, one low, one from behind, and one before her. Two of the lights make clear contact enough to be considered hits, while two are avoided. Nearly at the speed of thought once more, the globes flit out of reach, hovering about 12 feet off the ground on all sides of her.

"Rather unfair, I suppose, four against one," The words were spoken mildly with a smile, perhaps a touch ruefully.

"But believe me, few exercises are as valuable in developing the powers of concentration and focus, along with the reflexes and physical skills of bladework."

With that the 4 lights descend rapidly and dance about for a moment in a manner that would dazzle and distract a novice, then begin another 'attack' sequence.
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 pm

((Forum doesn't have dice rolls no, I'm merely trying to wage my characters level/skills against the common sense, to leave it fair for the both of us.

Celedien smiles as the lights begin another round of attack. She sidesteps the nearest orb, and lunches a strike against the next target within reach. This continues as the Paladin spins, dodges, and swings her blade time and time again, in most cases finding it's target, as she begins to figure out a certain pattern to the orbs, slowly learning to avoid them better, while still hitting them fairly often
Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 pm

((If Celedien has above average or better INT or WIS, which I suspect she does as a paladin, she would indeed realize either through analysis or intuition that there is a repetitive pattern to the 'attacks', and soon have little trouble dealing with them both offensively and defensively. She'd have slightly more trouble defensively unless she has high Touch AC, Uncanny Dodge, or other defensive skills besides being reliant on armor))

The Sun Elf observes keenly, a smile forming on his lips after a while at her display.

"Have you figured it out then? A rather simple pattern, really... they attack in sequence from all sides of you... front, back, left then right, then reverse order, right, left, back, front, then doubled variation... front, front, back, back, left twice, right twice... then once more reversed, then again, tripled!"

"I'm impressed, Etriel! Many lack sufficient insight or wits to recognize even relatively simple patterns such as this one. You may also have recognized... the pattern is based on the most rudimentary of tunes taught to me as a youngling when I was learning basic modal scales, though I'm unsure whether you might know such a simple children's song."

The globes come to a pause for a moment at the Elf's mental command.

"I am Arandur," he speaks in clear, bright voice. "May a star shine upon the hour of our meeting."
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 7:20 am

Celedien walks over, and places the practice sword against her shield, before walking over to Arandur

A pleasure meetings you Arandur, I'm Celedien, of the Alean'lylth family.
Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 11:49 am

For whatever reason, a slight air of hesitation can be observed in Arandur's reaction to her introduction; for a brief instant his expression changes to one of caution or wariness.

Just as quickly however, a smile returns to his lips, though somewhat more subdued.

"Is this your usual place and habit then, where you hone your skill with bladework? I've been seeking for a suitable place myself, though I would usually prefer a quiet, isolated, yet secure place where my fragile concentration might not be disrupted,"

"Still, from time to time sparring is necessary of course," continued the Elf. "Sadly, one cannot spar effectively with Dancing Lights that are controlled by one's own thoughts, though there is some benefit certainly, especially for those that must hone the art of using both blade and spell in the thick of battle."

Arandur's eyes scan Celedien, looking for any symbols or other visible markings that might reveal her allegiances, or other distinguishing details.
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 11:55 am

Arandur would easily find the symbol of corellon that is proudly placed over the heart on Celedien armor.

Well, I've only just stumbled ocer this place today. before that i trained with the other tael of the Akh'velahr. But i can imagine one such as yourself knows that a person sometimes needs to pratice againt new opponents.
Back to top Go down
ithildur

ithildur

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 4:47 pm

"Agreed, there is no substitute for the benefits, and even the pain, of sparring against a live swordsman," Arandur replied with a smile.

"Just as in turn, there's no substitute for the experience and insight one gains through actual life and death combat. But since there are no goblinoids, orcs, or drow about, perhaps we might settle for one another?"

((would enjoy continuing the rest ingame at some point and receiving what likely will be a schooling from Celedien. Is there a subdual mechanism on dalelands btw?))
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 7:59 pm

((Dalelands has the knockout system, which means if I manage to get you down to 0 HP, you're knockdown and I can't damage you further.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training on the edge of the city   Training on the edge of the city Empty

Back to top Go down

Training on the edge of the city
Page 1 of 1