Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Northern Fields

Go down 
+10
DM_Rook
cdnspr
Avarson
Klawn
Lazydrunk
Blutbadd
DeepFriedMoose
adaywithoutrain
Oilime
ADM_Specters
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
adaywithoutrain

adaywithoutrain

The Northern Fields - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 pm

After receiving advice from Arila, Kendra begins making her rounds speaking to the various merchants, asking if they have had large shipments of salt recently, and to where. She also asks who asked for them. She keeps her coinpurse handy. It seems quite heavy and large.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Bryanna would eventually encounter Cleo sitting beneath one of the old abandoned canvas tents pitched near the road to sell vegetables. He is armored and his skin glimmers with Lathander's blessings, but his shield and mace lean idly against the stone wall of a nearby well. In one hand, he holds a clod of dirt; in the other, he clutches a piece of paper.

When he notices Bryanna, he looks up at her. It's clear from the red in his blue eyes that he's been crying. He says nothing. His face reveals nothing.

He only regards her for a moment, then returns his attention to the handful of soil, working it between thumb and forefinger and allowing it to fall slowly back to the ruined earth.

Back to top Go down
http://www.wayneself.com
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Bryanna approaches Cleo and rests a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't give up hope yet."

She herself does not look happy, but as is common for her she's restraining any emotion that may be misconstrued as weakness. This mostly leaves her with a rather determined expression and angry glint in her eyes.

"I found some tracks, maybe we can at least follow them back long enough to know who did this. Something to be done together though, there's a lot of tracks and they may still be near."
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:57 pm

He flinches.

"Julia could maybe fix this. Where's she?"
Back to top Go down
WoodyWoo

WoodyWoo

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 pm

Rwolf passes by as the Priest utters his question " She is gone from us and the other of Chauntea's clerics that remain I can rouse from the House Plenty. We it seems are left to solve this in another way"
Back to top Go down
DM_Rook
Head DM
DM_Rook

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 am

When Kendra inquires about the salt shipments, most of the merchants just shrug and mention something about selling the salt to another merchant who was paying an exuberant price, but they say little more. Though, one of them directs her to Freehaven, mentioning that he heard the merchant who purchased his salt would be heading there.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 am

Cleo stands, clutching the paper in his hand. He walks over and picks up his mace and shield.

"Rwolf. I'm sorry to hear it. I knew something of what she meant to you. And I knew she'd resigned as Harvestmistress, but not that she had left us.

One Harvestmistress dead and the other departed. And, from her resignation announcement, I think I know why. I haven't forgotten how she was threatened at the docks.

It's unfortunate. This farmtown needs its Harvestmistress more than it needs most other things. Or people. This loss, on top of everything else, cuts deeply."

Back to top Go down
Klawn

Klawn

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

*after spending a few days at the academy, Calkin returns to Shadowdale to visit the man (druid) they found in the northern part of shadowdale fighting the spiders, if he is awake he would ask him about what he knows of sirrusso and pocket dimensions*
Back to top Go down
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:17 pm

"She was threatened because she lead us all into a trap, knowing it to be such Cleophus. Even you must see how that looked from the perspective of being one who trusted in her only to be lead into those creature's grasps like a pig to slaughter. Fortunately, I did finally get her to talk and it turns out she was just blundering, not malevolent in her oversight."

Bryanna takes a deep breath, obviously exerting some will to stop short there.

"We need to focus on this. Lhanir has offered her aid with the harvests and blessing the fields.. perhaps the druids can help us with this problem instead. With any luck this won't hurt the town much.. our population was halved and this is just a third of the built up farms... but something needs to be done for the families that lost their livelihood."

After a few moments she speaks again.

"I'm going to ask the Elders about turning over the deeds of the farms south of the river which belong to dead or fled families who don't plan to return... to those who lost these lands. That should give them some measure of security and help consolidate all the active fields to the more defensible areas. Then we can also pay the fleeing families for their lands to help them start annew elsewhere."

She looks over at the priest.

"What are your thoughts on that idea Dawnlord?"
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 am

"I think I didn't need you to tell me that the Harvestmistress wasn't malevolent.

I think that anyone can scapegoat another if it suits them, as I could blame you for leaving this farmland undefended, or for not doing something sooner about Glamerie, since you benefited from her patronage.

I think throwing stones at others for ineptitude is better done by those who haven't lost a large swath of the people and property that they swore to protect. I don't blame you, but do you feel no guilt at all?  

I think the people deserve a mayor who would examine their own contributions to the problem, not point fingers at the Harvestmistress who loved them for years.

I think people deserve Mayor who wasn't appointed by worms and hasn't alienated dwarf and elf alike.

I think that fixing this earth may entail great sacrifice from someone, and I can't ask it of them until sanity is restored, since their sacrifice might well be in vain.

I think you promised elections and it's time to deliver, before the people look around for someone to blame. You'll find Julia's no longer here to serve that purpose for you."
Back to top Go down
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 am

"If you think I'm to blame for the worms, you're sorely mistaken Cleophus. There's only so much you can blame me for. You made comment on Julia, I explained myself. I hold her no ill will now that I know she didn't make her decisions out of malevolence. I find it saddening that after so long of these lands being the realm of Chauntea's own that they now have to turn to Ilmateri in their time of need. I wish she was still here, not to be blamed for anything Cleophus... but because these people deserve her aid."

Bryanna takes a moment, looking thoughtful before taking the bit in her teeth for once and running. Her tone thoughtful and determined.

"I want you to think on all that has befallen this place in the past few years Cleophus. Think long and hard on all that has yet to come. I respect others' freedom of will, but every man who chooses not to leave these lands for Myth Drannor is taking a risk with the lives of his family. I don't consider the numbers now living in Myth Drannor or elsewhere a failure. I consider it a good thing. Only the people willing to take the risks of staying here should be asked to be here."

"Life is only going to get harder in the coming days for Shadowdale, before it gets better. These people are going through a test, a trial beyond anything any mortal should be asked to bear. Why fate disfavors this region so, as to line up so many dangers one after the other is beyond my comprehension. Like a soldier being trained, these people are having their former selves being beaten out of them by danger Cleophus. Those who make it through the other side, will be strong and able to weather each passing threat better and better I think. This is the forge that is going to strengthen the steel of their souls, and of those who help them through it."

She changes tone a bit, as she drops out of the abstract. The thoughtfulness falling out of it.

"You want elections. I'm aware, you've been telling us for months. I tell you though now is not the time for us to be worrying about who should be nominally in charge. Now should be the time that we should be working together, finding strength together, to make sure as much and as many survive to see this time next year as we can.

You want elections? Hold them. You get a majority vote, I'll be replaced. Though there's no telling what will happen when the Pendant of Ashaba is found, so know that. My concern is not about political sway over a small village, Cleophus. My concern is to make sure there village is still there for people to have petty fights in and to squabble about who gets to sign off on the militia's pay."

Bryanna motions around to the ruined land.

"You're right, this is a loss. This is a failure. This damage can be undone though, if by magic or by time. There were few people to be caught in harm's way.. and I consider that a good thing. Or would you have rather those people and their families been here when waves of spiders appeared in their homes while they slept? What better could have been done? Tell me Cleophus... what would have been the wiser decision? What would have been the right choice to make amid the chaos the worms left behind, amid the despair that had men killing their children and themselves? With a third of our forces gone, at the time unknown numbers displaced. I made the best choice I thought I could Cleophus. If you want to fault me for it, do so. I'm beyond caring what you think of me."

She looks at him sternly.

"Take stock of this situation. If you can do better, or another can.. let them step forward and help, let them step forward and be a leader. Let them do as Jonah has, as Laura has. These people can't afford to have the able among us standing aside watching and waiting for some sort of political ploy. They need them now. I need them now. I'm beyond my depth, this situation is beyond my ability alone to deal with Cleophus. This isn't the time to be separating from each other, this isn't the time for politics, this isn't the time for personal rivalries, this isn't the time for resentment or grudges."

She grips her hilt, the holy-symbol of Nobanion set into her pommel plain for him to see. The gesture clearly not threatening, but meant only to draw the attention to that symbol.

"It is the time for us to embrace the dogma. It is time for the strong and the weak alike to come together for the greater good of us all. To make sure that this place, these people get through to the other side. That is what I will be doing Cleophus. If it be the will of the people to turn me out of the community I've served, then so be it. If they want me to remain and serve in a different manner, so be it. But I will do all I can to protect the children, no matter what folly their parents get up to Cleophus, even if it means I must live as Mark does. Even if it means going on to the next life, never to return.

Show me you have that same fire Cleophus, help me find it in others. Awaken it where right now it is not. Focus your angst and your loathing of me into something useful, focus it into making sure that these people will live to displace me. Do so and I will thank you for that aid, whatever does come."

She steps back and gathers up her things, clearly preparing to leave but giving him time to respond before doing so.
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 pm

"I said I don't blame you, but your defensiveness suggests some guilt. That's good, at least. Progress. When you move from defensiveness to self-reflection, you may make a leader, yet. But the people haven't the time to wait. They need a leader NOW.

And, no. It can't be me, for I've another calling. But even from my post at the Dawnspire, I've done what I can for the goodfolk as have many others, in the six moons since you're arrival and in the many moons prior. Of course, many don't act as publicly as you do, but they are many.

So do not pretend that this town can't survive without you as its leader, or that there's no one worthy to lead. Do not call elections a 'ploy'. And do not claim that you're holding elections at bay because of the danger. These things? They are the logic of tyrants, for when do you stop being essential? When does someone you deem worthy come along? When does the danger end?

Bryanna. Truly, I don't loathe you. We've had our moments together, and I treasure them. What I loathe is your bald ambition and the falseness of your claims. You claim you have no wish to rule, yet here you are, using the logic that all men use when they want to stay in power.

But the most laughable gambit here is to unload the responsibility onto another. If I tried to organize elections here, from my post in Myth Drannor, you'd accuse me of 'interfering', as you've done in the past, when I stated clearly my approval of Vince's plan AND his caveats for that plan.

You were clear, too, and notably public in your support of elections. So you will organize them, or you will stand in wretched disgrace for your dishonesty.

Do what you said you'd do. Be the person you claim to be. Resign your office and help to organize a new government for someone else to lead. Show that the post means as little to you as you claim. Defend Shadowdale from a place of humility and, in so doing, you may gain a place of honor far beyond that of any government post."
Back to top Go down
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 3:28 pm

"If you're not going to organize the elections then they're not going to be done right now Cleophus. I'm not foolish enough to think that this is the right time to try to undergo a change of leadership. As I said, now is the time the time to worry about more important things. It isn't tyrannical it is simply being practical."

She motions to the surrounding area.

"I want you to answer my question Dawnlord. What would you have done differently here? I know why I made the choice I did, and I didn't see another way. What else could have been done?"
Back to top Go down
Archimedes

Archimedes

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 4:10 pm

"Did you hear nothing I said?

Twice now, I said I don't blame you for this.

And I clearly explained why I cannot organize elections from my post in Myth Drannor, and how your reasoning is that of a tyrant.

If you think it's 'practical' now for you to remain in power, though you were appointed by worms, though you've alienated allies, lost citizens, and land and chased off the religious leader of this community, and though there's a whole other Mayor to do the job, then it will always be 'practical' for you, for there will always be another reason for you to stay in charge.

That is, until the few that remain here decide to take matters in to their hands.  Frankly, it's staggering that they haven't already done so.

Since you aren't listening, I will go. But know that you may still call on my aid. These here, in the Vales, were the first people I served. The first I loved. I won't let your desperate grip on power keep me from helping them. Once someone in charge is willing to defend this land and inspire the people to return here to farm it, I can attempt to undo this damage, though the sacrifice may be great.

Let me know when that happens.

I'll be in Myth Drannor."

Cleo disappears.
Back to top Go down
BedlamX

BedlamX

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 4:28 pm

*Jarrin walks by on his little jaunt to Freehaven and just rolls his eyes while shaking his head and mutters:*

Fields are ruined and these two are going at it...again...

Back to top Go down
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Bryanna just looks quietly at the spot Cleophus disappeared from.

"May you eventually find your way out of your delusions, Cleophus. People are counting on you to be thinking clearly once again."

She then heads off to try to find Lhanir.
Back to top Go down
WoodyWoo

WoodyWoo

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Mean while Rwolf continues with his tally of what there is to work with and how badly damaged the Dale actually is and who remains. That's when he is not trying to shove the shocked members of the House of Plenty back into the world or watching for those who salt the fields not mention extra-planer Spiders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Northern Fields   The Northern Fields - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Northern Fields
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2