Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor

Go down 
+2
Kerali
FunnyHatOfDeath
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fen

Fen

A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor Empty
PostSubject: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:53 pm

The following message, written in elven in neatly scribed Espurar, is posted in several places in Myth Drannor and the Cormanthor, notably along the crossroads.

It was my mother who once said 'Being an elf is more than just in form.' Our history, so often forgotten except when a desire (or the self-depreciating need) to lament is necessary, would show that. The Vyshaan and the Illythiir both murdered and conquered in the name of vengeance and conquest. During the last days of Myth Drannor, the great houses murdered each other in open war and in assassinations, all for a chance to pull the Ruler's Blade – the same weapon that rejected them at the cost of their lives. The Eldreth Veluuthra murder humans as the grand solution to the problem of elvenkin, as if genocide is the cure to all ills.

As my mother would ask, are they still elves? They look like elves. They probably think like elves. But I truly doubt any Seldarine-respecting elf would ever consider them elves. The Seldarine would never accept murder of either innocents or those who do good. Why then, as a people, do we blindly condone the actions of those who murder innocent? Or perhaps those who openly deal with enemies of the people, such as the Zhents?

It was the late Coronal Eltargrim who opened Myth Drannor to all goodly people, a city that represented tolerance, understanding, and the potential for people to make achievements never seen before or since. Why then, even after the City has been re-founded, has hate become our greatest ideal? The same hate the Veluuthra use to justify killing humans. The same hate the Vyshaan and the Illythiir used to justify atrocity? The same hate the Black Archers use to justify murder, even as their actual enemies stir in the depths?

We as a people are in great danger. That danger is not the drow – either those below or the Eilistraeeans. It is not the humans – even the Zhents. It is ourselves. We have lost our way and deluded ourselves in false uncompromising but substance-free ideals. Where unity should be the ideals, there is division and chaos. Where there should be understanding and acceptance of new ideas – a notion Corellon Larethian himself dictates - we see hate and paranoia. Where Eltargrim’s dream should have endured seven centuries later, there is only mistrust and conflict.

Some of our so called ‘people’ deal with Zhents, the very people who wish to conquer all goodly peoples. Some of our people kill and act against the Eilistraeeans, the very people who have time and time again laid down their lives in defense of Cormanthor’s people. Those people, and others, scorn and undermine the rule of the Coronal herself, whose appointment and rule represents the will of the Seldarine.

What has this left us? An empty shell where the only rule is an elf shall not strike an elf. An obvious point with no further thought or consideration, rigidly adhered to no matter what an elf is doing – even when straying from the path. An empty rule with little though tor substance, that leaves elves killing innocents and working with evil. Blind acceptance of this rule gives the façade of civility and representation of ideals that we as a people nary acknowledge.

How are we any different than the Llothians we claim to be so vigilant against? If all you see is dark skin and white hair, you are blind. So long as you cannot fathom the notion that an elf is not always an elf, and appearances aren’t what they appear to be, you aren’t using that wisdom Corellon Larethian gave you, the wisdom you so shamefully waste. So long as you cannot show mercy, you cannot understand the compassion that Sehanine Moonbow bestowed you.

So long as hatred and division rules us, the Llothians have won. So long as we draw battle lines with our allies and work against those we call cousin, the Zhents have won. So long as we accept war as a reason for murder and evil, we have lost.

I, as an elf, will not accept this. Those of you who believe Eltargrim’s ideals are not mere folly, who believe the Seldarine are more than hate and murder, and who believe we can be better than this, should not accept this state either.

We shall not let extremity overrule our judgment, and use that intelligence and wisdom the Seldarine gave us. We shall fight to protect both our people and our people’s allies, no matter what they look like – for true allies have proven themselves time and time again, and have spilled blood in our defense that shall not be forgotten. We shall not give into hatred or intolerance, and uphold the ideals that the Seldarine so wisely taught us. We shall not abandon our duties to the realm we call home or the ideals of the Seldarine.

We are Tel’Quessir, the people of the Seldarine, and we should never forget that. If you believe you’re an elf, prove it, for I for one shall be blind to mere appearance.

The note is simply signed 'The Evaliir'.

Last edited by Fen on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FunnyHatOfDeath

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:44 pm

*he walks up through one of the cross roads on the outskirts of Myth Dranor respecting the exile .. he reads it his steely eye flashes.*

If it was not against my vow.. I would laugh. Everyone assumes we are hunting the Elistreens. This gives them far too much credit we hunt drow in emulation of our lord's decree. They just happen to be of the Naked Lady at the same time.

Recall that Lord Shevarash made this decree when mortal and became a god. If that is not ample evidence that this decree is worthy I do not know what is.

Recall also that dark elves orginally had the skin of us and then the seladrine gave them their skin to match their black hearts.

They are obviously the enemy.

But you are right in one thing, that hatred and lies to divide us. Look to the black skinned blights that walk tolerated amongst you in Myth Drannor. THink long and hard on their lineage and then ask yourself this.

If you were goodly. If you knew your very presence would cause strife, divide people and weaken them. If you knew that many would die as they had this discussion would you walk freely amongst those that you knew you would cause this? Would you seek acceptance knowing what your very presence would cause and would ferment? I would say that if a truly goodly drow did exist and to think such is folly. We would never see them for they would be deep witin the underdark seeking to 'redeem' those blighted misbegotten things.

Why do they walk here where they cause such diviseveness and such weakeness when they know full well that they do? Is their need for acceptance, to walk among us so great that they would risk everything simply to give in to this selfish desire for what they want.. and then threaten death of those who do not give it to them?

All these things point to very logical conclusions.. if you would but open your eyes and see. We of Shevarash walked from Myth Drannor not out of disrespect to the Coronal, not out of some childish notion of taking our toys and going home, but to remove ourselves from laws we know we could not obey and to remove ourselves fromt he webs of deceit and lies that enwrap the city so when the time comes that our kin most need us we will not be shackled by false ways and directions, but able to act for our people as we have always acted.

TOLERANCE IS TREASON
Wythran Tal
Back to top Go down
Kerali

Kerali

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 am

*She walks through Cormanthor when found a letter, she pick it up with her not broken hand and her only eye stares in paper, sadness crossed her face*

I'm upset, but I will never raise a hand against my Kin.
My brothers and sisters learned nothing from history . Humans deceived us for centuries, took away our lands, killed our loved ones, and now, as usual, I suggest to be blind to crimes committed against my people, and against nature.
But I believe, the day will come, when my kin will see a threat and Corellon will answer on my prayers.

*She cough and a drop of blood sprinkled the sheet of paper. Elf opened her hand and letter slowly falls to the ground.

Last edited by Kerali on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fen

Fen

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:17 am

The author smirks a bit, before wandering off, only to return later to post a short response.

My words, while I appreciate you taking the time to listen to them, Black Archer, aren't for you. I'm well aware you think of nothing but the hunt that will never end, of the dhaerow that must die. It is a pity that Shevarash is a necessity for those who cannot cope with their loss. Whether I enjoy admitting it or not, yours serve a purpose. Killing those who have fought in the defense of the Coronal of this land - especially those who do not fight back - is not that purpose. One of yours committed murder, and the fact they walk off without even the weight of guilt is simply tragic.

Of course, with that mantra, 'Tolerance is Treason', the very notion of Eltargrim's dream would, were it not for the oath, break out in gut-bursting laughter, huh?

I'm well aware that the notion of any sort of redeemed drow must be a lie to you, that the daughter of Corellon Larethian is a myth meant to trick us. Of course, some of the drow do exactly that. Find the part of my words where I said we should not be wary, Archer, because even those of Eilistraee must be wary of false converts and traps. Stating we must be vigilant is blatantly obvious. We do have legitimate enemies. But rest assured, she exists, her people exist, and they have fought to protect the Tel'quessir of Cormanthor, as well as goodly beings for longer than you've been around here.

I have only so many years to live, so I will not try and get a laugh nor a smile out of you, Black Archer. My concern are those who still have hope to live a life not sacrificed to hatred. Your words prove hollow. We all know drow can be evil. The deeds of those who have given their lives prove they, however few, can also be good. This I swear upon the Sage of Sunset.

There is a difference between tolerance and idiocy. The fact many cannot tell the difference is the real tragedy.

-The Evaliir.
Back to top Go down
WhatchaLookingAt

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 am

Cilion walks by this post, reading it fully. He posts a short response.

"People should look in the mirror. This is the mirror of the elven sociaty. After realizing our poor state, I hope something will be done. This is something that depands on the Tel'Quassir as a whole, not only one elf. This elf, 'The Evaliir', made us realize something must be done to prevent further deterioration of out sociaty. Now it is up to us to do something about it.

- Cilion Mithendta."
Back to top Go down
Skyiba

Skyiba

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:29 pm

I have looked in the mirror, i have preached and tried to teach until i was blue in the face but yet to no avail so i took leave and went to search myself yet again. I have found that i was both a mathor and myself while one was at war with the other they did not have to be. I swore an oath to protect the city and even on leave i still do so.

But i also have a duty to myself as well and thus i have decided i will follow my own code of being as well as being a mathor since my code also dictates that i should try to write the wrong i see no matter what the outcome it is up to me to decide so short of flat killing kin or if killed by accident seeking to raise them only if done so by my hand or the zhents or what ever the situation is i will subdue i will arrest any who violate the law or coronals orders even outside our lands.

i too am sick of the devision amoungst our self and sadly for a time it tainted my vision of the dream and made me question the coronal. sadly i have fell short and failed the coronal and some of my friends an allies in this i can only ask they forgive me in time if they choose to not then so be it. while in our lands they deserve to be protected no matter what and will be this goes for the eilistraens as well.

there are true eilistraens, eilistraens and converts as i see it the two highest have proven true allies and shed blood with me as well as a few humans protecting myth drannor the converts have not as of yet but so long as they are accompanied by the others they should not be harmed if they are alone they should be carefully watched as well but no harm still so long as they do nothing to warrent it.

and i say we should all step back to stock of whats been done and the situation of our people and decide whats best for our kin an allies this includes everyone i think it best we show unity with our allies and grow stronger from it than be weakened by petty fighting amongst our self we was doing real well in the beginning with all our allies until the cat got out of the bag about some. so if we must then we should return to our previous way since it did work. calm each other down which i admit i needed as well. and keep in mind we all share the same enemies loth vherun and zhents unite as one and defeat them free the innocents once again and restore balance to the region build our city to its once former glory and have true peace and not just an illusion.

the selderine i swear either look down on us laughing or greatly sadened by what they see (that is obviously meant but what they see at the time)

we are elves after all and should act accordingly and not make ourselves appear as our enemies do cold heartless carring only about what suits them theirselves at the expense of innocent and good..

we need to reevaluate punishment as well even for our kin that break the laws or flatly refuse to follow the laws and the coronal orders 20 years isnt enough in most cases for banishment in most extreme case a life time banishment should be placed on even kin as for who what and how it is done i will leave to the coronal to decide as it is only my right to make suggestions.

i see some changes being made and am currently concidering them and watching before i make a decision to come back for more than visit or back from leave to guards.

as long as we argue amongst ourselves and openly attack an kill allies i see it fit to only protect the innocent family and friends *smirks slightly* and the coronal ofcourse tho i concider her as a friend as well she may not.

my dream is for all of us and our allies to be united under peace and restore the forrest to our kin as it once was and rebuild myth drannor as well as new cities with in or atleast free some from zhent control.

i want Myth Drannor to be the beacon for peace and happiness that it once was so long ago i believe the coronal atleast agrees with me on that much. it may take time i see now, but it will come to pass.. i keep that much faith alive even if the rest of my faith in my kin is shaking at times.

Signed: B.M.
Back to top Go down
Fen

Fen

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Another post. This one more brief and to the point, though with a clearly joyous tone.

Our enemies are mortal.

This day is one that all goodly peoples should be feeling pride and joy from. The Zhents have taken a major strategic setback. An alliance of human, elf, dwarven and even drow bloods have managed to bloody the Zhents in the nose. If there is any day that can be proof that any race can get along to accomplish a common goal, it is this day.

We must not get complacent and overconfident, however. Our enemies - our real ones - remain strong. We all - be they elven, dwarven, human, or anyone - must continue to take that spirit of unity and cooperation and continue the good fight. Eltargrim's dream may yet come true, even if it is in a manner that nobody expected. Through unity, triumph.

We, the goodly peoples of these Realms, shall never submit.
-The Elaviir

Back to top Go down
Fen

Fen

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 am

I am uncertain when the development came that us people - Tel'quessir of Cormanthor, inheritors of the wood - deemed it no longer necessary to use even a shred of our inherited intellect and wisdom, but I certainly wish someone had told me.

Eilistraeeans are a drow fabrication and a myth of those below. They trick people to eat them, or are some sort of Sapphic-love cult. Every effort they've made to help the city, every drop of blood shed to help goodly people, every story from quessir and n'tel'quessir alike must be false. Conversely, orc-bloodeds, tieflings, and those who bend fiendish energies to their will get a free pass to march around the refugee camp of Myth Drannor as they see fit, if not legally then at least defactoly. People who bend hellish powers to their will, or transform into demons, are somehow... welcome?

The absurdity in these situations is not so much the apparently poor thinking by many, but by the complete lack of thinking that brought about these supposed conclusions. 'Reject them all from this place, they are irredeemable' I imagine some of you saying. 'They should all be allowed in, for they all have the potential to be good', others might say.

I will simply say that both of those conclusions are foolish and completely lacking in critical thought. Though I can certainly accept the possibility of an orc-blooded or a tiefling being a kind soul, I could also accept the possibility of a drow being of the same benevolent bent. I also accept such things are rare and am not foolish in giving away my trust. What I - and what everyone else need from these folks is time to interact with and understand these beings for who they are. My point, dear readers, is we need to use our heads and think clearly. Any being can prove themselves our friends and allies. Some of them already have, some still need that time. Let us remember the difference.

Use your eyes and ears, friends, for all beings reveal their true nature in time. It is in their nature to do so, even the ones that are elusive about such.

Even more perplexing is 'the rule'. There is really only one rule, from what I can tell: An elf shall not harm another elf. From what I understand by many of our kin, this is the only rule that ever matters. From what I understand, I can be as rude, dismissive, unhelpful, or even hostile to another, so long as I don't lay a hand on him. We can be as hateful and elitist and scornful to n'tel'quessir - non-elves - of course, because they aren't elves.

How did a culture tens of thousands of years old develop on such a principle? The answer is rather simple: It didn't. How applicable is a tenet about not killing other elves to 95% of any interaction between members of The People?

Elven culture did not develop on such a shallow, dogmatic, supposedly pacifistic principle alone, leaving me concerned about the number of elves who have apparently forgotten basic tenets of their culture. The things like understanding, seeking out new experiences, appreciation for arts, our thirst for lore, the fostering of relations with other goodly beings.

Or simply just being able to use that mind that the Seldarine blessed us with.

Without these things, what good are we to these realms, and to our neighbors? Without these things, Eltargrim's Dream is a glorious sham, for the realm built upon blood, sweat, music and tears stands upon an empty, pointless foundation. A glorious, extremely old civilization built upon false-pretenses of civility, with little creation of anything beautiful. But hey, at least we don't kill each other?

The Seldarine did not put us in this world so we could bicker amongst ourselves and make a mockery of what it means to be alive, blessed with the ability to understand ourselves and the world. What good is a rule about not killing each other if we refuse to cooperate, understand one another, and live? The Seldarine will most certainly not pat us on the back for it.

-The Elaviir
Back to top Go down
Aridarye

Aridarye

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 am

The Seldarine struck down those that turned away from them, and those have remorselessly spited them ever since. It is their explicit command that the fallen be opposed and fought, wherever they may attempt to encroach upon the lands and lives of the sunlit world. Claiming otherwise is delirious ignorance or blasphemy.

That two, are recognized as redeemed and allowed to walk among us, is already no thin miracle, but proof of nearly inimagineable trust and collective will to take some steps beyond merely dispatching them all, and letting the truth of their hearts guide them to the Demonweb Pits or final peace and joy among us in Arvanaith.

As those two would probably tell you themselves, if truthful, they are born, culled and raised twisted, and the existence of a few that overcame blood and upbringing, is not grounds enough to overturn hard-learned caution and need for swift action. To claim it feasible to direct the policies of defense and safety of all kin gathered in the hope of rebuilding this city, those who have come to help them, and those that turmoil brought under our protection, on the premise that each Dhaerow encountered may be peaceful, would bring our downfall in short order.
If they are peaceful let them stay away and hidden, and revel in the wonders they have made their way back to, they won't be hunted down in malice because that is not our way. Even the Black Archers whose actions you turn into so much unsteady fodder for your rhetorics must have their hands full enough already with those out to blight the land with their raiding and slave-taking.
And the peaceful ones probably don't ask for more, themselves.

If they don't, the question stands, why would someone else ?
Are the very ones whose defense he pretends to take, those redeemed after travelling a path thornier than most of us may ever know, weak or not to be trusted to know what is good for them ? Do they need a self-appointed spokesman, and one that doesn't even know the words and will of the Seldarine, doesn't even care that he states them flat wrong in purported defense of his position ?
Selfish ego-bolstering and narcissistic need for a cause to cloak oneself in ?
Cyricist dissent-sowing ?
You talk about unity and tolerance, kin or non-kin (though I suspect who you may be), but you may be the one barking up all the wrong trees instead of contributing your strength where it may bear some fruition.

Ysenthiel
Back to top Go down
Fen

Fen

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Clearly, my writing skills have atrophied, since I was either not clear, or you completely - accidentally or otherwise - missed my point. Neither would surprise me.

As I tried to point out before, the general temperament and origins of orcs, drow, fiend-bloodeds, etc, are usually well known. That does not rule out exceptions, of course, the Eilistraeeans being the most notable and most tried and tested, even if the most controversial. Two of their flock aren't even from the Night Below, but from communities on the surface that long ago left their fallen kin behind, a point often missed by the perpetually-suspicious.

Your counter-point, however, was precisely what my point was: We must use discretion and intelligence when determining our allies, no matter who they are. Welcoming with open arms or assuming they are all inevitable traitors are the conclusions of fools. I would like to assume you are not a fool.

You have some clear faults in your logic in some other areas of your argument, however. You assume that the Eilistraeeans should just 'stay hidden' and they will not be harmed. Ask around; this has never been the case. They have been hunted in what can be called cold-blood. Likewise, you clearly don't give any who turn away from the Spider Queen credit, as mere 'escape' is the end-goal for them, at least from what I'm reading. The dogma of Eilistraee clearly notes aiding others, whether they be weak or strong, as a central tenant of the faith. There are too many in need in these realms for an inconvenience such as 'redeemed traitors' to simply crawl under a rock and enjoy being alive, and it is both Cormanthor and those of Myth Drannor that have benefited from those sacrifices. To do such is to deny them the basic rights we deem inalienable to ourselves.

There might be a simpler way to put all this: Do not mistake ideals and virtues for common sense, and do not mistake common sense for callousness.

Finally, words contrary to what one wishes to hear are often referred to as sedition. Find the part of my words where I suggested the Coronal should be overthrown, or that the City of Song should be burned to the ground. I spoke of none of those things. What I 'talk about' (ironic since this is in writing) are basic concepts in elvenkind, those being the cherishing of life in all forms and the nurturing of art and beauty, and the use of those wits that the Seldarine so liberally blessed us with. We should not be defined by our hatreds and our mistrusts, for that would make us no better than the Black Archers - whose valor and purpose is unquestioned, but their foresaking of joy remorseful - or the Eldeth Veluuthra, whose campaign against the humans goes against any notion of friendship and understanding the Seldarine ever decreed.

-The Elaviir
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor   A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor Empty

Back to top Go down

A Series of Treatises Posted in Myth Drannor
Page 1 of 1