Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's Face the Dance

Go down 
+2
Kira
Karasu
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Karasu

Karasu

Let's Face the Dance Empty
PostSubject: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 2:26 am

I already mentioned this in a Thread but let me pull this subject again in the field of debate. I will talk about Underdark now but probably this can be applied in some extend anywhere else but I have little experience of other areas.

IC actions should have IC consequences, right? We would agree on this mostly. Someone don't keep an etiquette of the Drow, do something against the Church then they can soon find themselves on the wrong end of the altar, punished, etc.

And this is how should it be. But what I haven't see so clearly is the consequences of the elite, in the leadership. I am far from blaming anyone, as mostly these kind of consequences would require some additional game mechanism, or more storyteller. But let me tell what kind of IC consequences I am talking about and what reasoning I have to prove my point.

Namely I would like to see the change in the camp moral depend on what happening inside, and how the yath threats the people.

The Drow society is a chaotic evil society (which would I describe as an autocracy in this case a theocracy with rather fluid laws and rules which can be interpreted by the elite to their own gain, and most of the people are selfish, caring their status gain). But what keeps them together? The necessity. The Drow are highly intelligent species and know with cooperation and number they can achieve things that they can not alone.

The Drow are superstitious as well. But with the superstition nature, one can interpret an event in many ways, and in the scope of the Drow selfish nature, mostly they would interpret and event for their own gain. So an event can be described as Lolth's test, but those who hope something better with the opposite might say it is a sign of falling out of favour of Lolth. The interpretation is kept for the Yath mostly, but I bet every individual would have their own opinion just they are wise to keep it themselves.

The Drow are supremacist species. They do think themselves above of most of the species. They think they are fated to rule the Underdark and perhaps the surface once more (this later is one of the main teaching of Vhaerunites as oppose to the Lolthites who see no real reason to return to the surface).

The situation of the Deep Wastes in the server are very delicate one. Most of the major settlements are lost: Maerimydra, Szith Morcane, and Sschindylryn being one of the last remaining true settlement of the region where the Drow are the dominant. Most of the players are however gather in a camp with tents, little sanitation, lack of variety of food (or even lack of food in time of a crisis), in constant attack, and those in bellow do see very little progress on changing the condition or in the war effort of Maermidrya. And here imagine that most of the loyal player characters are considered the elite, the successful Drow, but the majority of the camp dwellers should be those of the faceless commoners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what I think I would like to see.

If there is more sacrifices of Drow than none Drow the Drow might feel uncomfortable, the morals could drop. Why the Yath favouring the none-Drow more than themselves? The same applies to see armed slaves around, and slaves who can escape of bad situations easier than Drow.

The constant attack on the camp and the surrounding tunnels should effect the morals too. There is a little visible success on retaking the lost city while the forces of the Banshee Queen seems not to thin at all (well after all they are grinding zones, where characters gather xp and progress, but ICly it could be seem as a loosing war - and in a losing war the personal gain is little).

The treat of the males. Sure, the males are second class citizen. Very similar as the woman status in the darkest period of middle age when they could be blamed very easily as an inferior gender, who born touched by the evil just because of the gender. In the eyes of the females a male is always more suspicious being a heretic, with the rebelling son of their goddess constantly around. But too much pressure on the males could easily end up in rebellion, some kind of resistance. Which again most of the loyal player characters won't feel as much pressure, as they are the elite of their House, growing (presumably) in title. But those bellow have little chance...

The raids of the surface and on other settlement of the UD are major tool to keep this chaotic society stable. It is a way of gain something, to keep the personal greed and ambition in bay. Also it is a prove of the Drow superiority against the other species. It is also a source of resources but this could be secondary. With unsuccessful raids the morals would drop, and the area have much less successful raids than before when Maerimydra still flourished.

So I do see the camp might have a very low moral among the Drow commoners. Also teh surviving Qu'ellars are just a shadow of those formerly reside in the city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But why I say all of this? Because it can enchant the in game realism and aside that it can create more interesting story twist. It would also force the members of Yath to be more creative and careful in their act, also can create some more intrigue in game among each other. This kind of consequences could also lesser the high PvP tendency in UD (which I am much lesser of fan of than storytelling).

Would be nice to see fleeing commoners to Sschindylryn, problems with supplies, low morals, in camp heretics, yath sentencing those who failed into dead legions rather just to slain them (especially could be a good way to punish player characters, rather than just kill them they can go into the Dead Pits with minimal support Smile ).

And what is my Lore proof of the above, that such consequences might exist?

In the time of the Silence of Lolth many traditional societies cracked. The oppressed tried to get the power (and sometimes they just become the new oppressor - think about the Drow city where the males are the dominating power). And I can see that just after so many lost and after the silence many would still have their doubt if they are still favoured at all.

Back to top Go down
Kira

Kira

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 2:28 pm

So after reading your long post twice. I don't see what your suggestion is.
Back to top Go down
NorthernStarshine

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 3:10 pm

This isn't a suggestion thread. Razz

I've no input because personally, erm...

TLDR.
Back to top Go down
Karasu

Karasu

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Kira wrote:
So after reading your long post twice. I don't see what your suggestion is.

It is quite simple. Would be nice to RP out some difficulties without just the regular PvP. Mind you the enemies might just fell down... especially since all of those who live in camp have advantage accessing anything that gives an edge in PvP. It will be fun for a while... That is game wise.

Lore wise I think I made some point up there. You don't need to agree on them, don't need to interpret in this way at all. I post it to give another view, something I feel lacking for a while now.
Back to top Go down
snilldog

snilldog

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 pm

You are already seeing most of the things that you described happen, although probably not for the right reasons.

Half of the UD has grown frustrated with the Yath and become heretics.

As for surface raids, they are simply not feasible for either of the houses due to a number of factors. The OOC reasons being that most of the surfacers still have a huge level/gear advantage over us.

The IC reasons being that both of the houses view interaction with surfacers differently. Zau'Afin and DK also hate each other and would be unlikely to co-operate on anything, nevermind a raid.
Back to top Go down
Evocati

Evocati

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Then there is Shyntra heh....
Back to top Go down
VileNolram

VileNolram

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 am

Cruetly, some wine, a couple of jaluks... why not.
Drow should fear lolth and fear is certianly a wonderful flavor the underdark yeilds.
Certian aspects of underdark roleplay are unique as an apspect of the forgotten realms itself.
So, too is the experience of this.
I feel the rpers have created a increadble experience that has evolved and refined.
In thought on the underdark, I perpose each area of its epic expancewould have its uniquity due to the craziness of the habatat. *coughs* Then there is Shyntra heh... lol! @ Evocati
I certianly dont see a lack of points of view, and hope you bust some sick moves on the dance floor.
Each character and player will have their own style, I'd recomend simply enjoying the role play for what it is and what goes on. Have some ultra underdark fun!

vile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Face the Dance   Let's Face the Dance Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Face the Dance
Page 1 of 1