Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Non-Cleric Religious Ranks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tibus_Heth

Tibus_Heth

Non-Cleric Religious Ranks Empty
PostSubject: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Whilst the material I can find around on the internet is clear enough on the ranks, role, etc of the Clergy with in the cult of Lolth, it's less transparent on other cult ranks. In particular, I'm pondering Divine Seeker of Lolth. Are there Yath'velgarn to mirror the Yath'sargtlin? Would they join a House in addition to the Temple in the same way that priestess do? What would their relative rank be?

Any and all opinions welcome, I'm not fortunate enough to have the towering stack of Drow reference material many here do. Cool
Back to top Go down
Jeremor

Jeremor

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:20 pm

So far as I've seen ingame, if you draw upon any substantial amount of Lolth's divine powers, then you are a yath and treated as one. The faith is not secondary to anything. Having three levels of shadowdancer or something like that would just make you a relatively sneaky Yathrin, not an entirely different rank.

However, if you're asking about being an assassin that is closely linked with the worship of Lolth...

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dread_fang

Dread Fang's of Lolth are pretty close to that. They serve noble houses and the Spider queen, and I believe there's some lore that they hear Lolth's whispered guidance constantly or something. I'm not so sure on that last bit though. Mostly they just seem like somewhat 'holy' assassins. I think they'd be more similar to the PrC Black Flame Zealot than Divine Seeker.

In the hierarchy, I guess they'd be considered somewhere above a 'normal' male assassin, the cream of the crop so to speak, but still below a devoted priestess. Like a Yath'sargtlin is to normal warriors.
Back to top Go down
Vanelier

Vanelier

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I would say, if you call on the divine for 3 levels or more, you'll have "Yath'somethingorother" as a title.

In this case, you might either get labeled with "Yath'abban" (like female Blackguards of Lloth do) or "Yath'velg'larn" as you thought.
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Do have to bear in mind lolth doesnt give any divine power to males, selvetarn her champion however does.
Also pretty sure the rank of Yath'velg'larn doesnt exist, assasins who work for the Yath look at dread fangs of lolth. Yath'sargtlin are pretty much the hand of the yath answering to them first and their quellar if they have one second and are the only time a male may be allowed to enter the temple and not be killed for it.

Ranks don't work by sticking yath at the start the only time that happens is with yath'sargtlin.

Most females that recieve some kind of divine power from lolth can become a yath'abban but only favored souls, eldritch disciples and clerics can advance past that rank to yathrin
Back to top Go down
Tibus_Heth

Tibus_Heth

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 2:37 pm

The potentially-divine-seeker character is female, with the only 'divine' levels being Divine Seeker (i.e. no cleric levels etc). Hence my being unsure as to the place within the hierarchy she'd occupy. The Dread Fang concept does seem to fit fairly well, I'm just trying to establish the IC repercussions of the (admittedly non-spellcasting) divine gifts the class grants.

(Since it's come up as an IC query a few times, the character is low-born, hence the lack of clerical power/training.)
Back to top Go down
Vanelier

Vanelier

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 pm

I thought you have to have divine levels of some kind to even take divine seeker? I might be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
Norlamin Arborshate

Norlamin Arborshate

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 8:24 am

https://dalelandsbeyond.rpg-board.net/t2052-rank-stations-progression-in-the-qu-ellar-of-lolth-work-in-progress

Read this for the "Dalelands" ranks. This is pretty much the standard for the Underdark here.

The Yath ranks are across the board, not just to the houses.

A divine seeker would be a Dread Fang of Lolth as gandruff pointed out.

To build on what gandruff said, only high level clerics can go on to become Yath'tallars. Something to keep in mind if rank within the temple is what you have in mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-Cleric Religious Ranks   Non-Cleric Religious Ranks Empty

Back to top Go down

Non-Cleric Religious Ranks
Page 1 of 1