Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]

Go down 
+9
Shadowwolf
Xeneize
Vilesinger
Fuligar
Lord Droke
gandruff
Shotgunbunny
ObsidianRaven
Kelticraven
13 posters

Should the pre-requisite Rank of a Yath PC be determined by Character Level, Cleric Level or Spell Level?
Character Level
Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote117%Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote12
 7% [ 3 ]
Cleric Level
Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote1134%Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote12
 34% [ 15 ]
Spell Level
Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote1159%Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] I_vote12
 59% [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 44

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] Empty
PostSubject: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Another poll to sort out the specifics on Yath requisites.

Last edited by DM_MindFlayer on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:34 pm

As I said before I'm for spell levels as that way doesnt penalize people trying things with their cleric rather than every cleric worth anything being exactly the same build
Back to top Go down
Kelticraven

Kelticraven

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 1:19 am

gandruff wrote:
As I said before I'm for spell levels as that way doesnt penalize people trying things with their cleric rather than every cleric worth anything being exactly the same build

+1
I agree on this as well. Thou for the reason that the Spell levels move slower then character levels.
So it will take longer to move up in ranks to what is needed. If I remember correctly on how long the clerics of Lolth are in the Temple, you will see that they normally are 50 plus years in service to the Temple. As listed in A Reader's Guide to R.A. Salvatore's The Legend of Drizzt.
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:30 am

Cleric level, as its by Lolth's will that you rise in rank as a Yath.
Back to top Go down
ObsidianRaven

ObsidianRaven

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 am

Kelticraven wrote:
gandruff wrote:

+1
I agree on this as well. Thou for the reason that the Spell levels move slower then character levels.
So it will take longer to move up in ranks to what is needed. If I remember correctly on how long the clerics of Lolth are in the Temple, you will see that they normally are 50 plus years in service to the Temple. As listed in A Reader's Guide to R.A. Salvatore's The Legend of Drizzt.

+1
Back to top Go down
LoudDave

LoudDave

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 am

gandruff wrote:

I voted for spell level.
I voted for it even though i think if someones going to play a yath, they really should be pure clerics.
Ya sure all the build will be pretty similar. but umm. Why do they need to be different?

I think a pure cleric would have alot more favor in the eyes of lolth than some delinquent who when off to study different things. Lolth has no reason to be "understanding".
Back to top Go down
Shotgunbunny

Shotgunbunny

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:36 am

gandruff wrote:

I completely agree! There´s a lot of standard/issue clerics running around as it is!
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am

LoudDave wrote:

Ya sure all the build will be pretty similar. but umm. Why do they need to be different?
They don't need to be, its just more fun when you can't predict the other persons build just from their rank. Lolth doesnt have a reason to be understanding but she also doesnt have a reason to drop penalties so long as they gain results for her. Unless she's feeling like it of course but in such a case thats going to affect pure and multiclassed clerics alike.
Back to top Go down
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:55 pm

It is very common for drow to multi class, just like surface elves. That does not change when looking at Lolth's priesthood. Per lore Cleric/Assassins, Cleric/Blackguard, etc. are all actually quite common.

Case and point to the Cleric purists....
The idea that cleric of lolth lvl 11/asssasin lvl 10 can not be a Yathrin is absurd.
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 3:42 pm

By going with pure cleric levels, you can get rid of alot of this arguement about who can and will be a Yath'Tallar, as very few will have the commitment to do pure cleric levels that high.
Back to top Go down
gandruff

gandruff

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Then those that diddnt go pure cleric but have been aiming for yathtallar get screwed over
Back to top Go down
Lord Droke

Lord Droke

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:15 pm

There are various examples where a Yath can be multi classed all through the novels. You can find NPCs listed in D&D adventure mods that have multi classed Yathrin and Yath'tellaren.

Daughter of the Drow.
Page 73
Judging by the fact that Liriel has been ordered to attend Arach TInlith, but has been taught Wizardry by her father and many other masters of Sorcere, and is learning Gate spells, and the Sorcere master instructing her fears her arcane magic, she is a pretty accomplished mage BEFORE she goes to Arach Tinilith.

Futher examples are lore based Bae'Queshel. In war of the Spider queen, one of the main PCs is a Yathrin/Bard.

The idea that priestess would not actively take War Priest, Balckguard or divine champion levels seem to be extreme. These basically just customize the cleric/FS. Why would they not be taught a the church? I really can't understand the view that says a Yathrin can not study Assassin - assassination is an area of the faith. It is the means of ascension! The Ulath'tellar character in War of the Spider Queen names assassination as one of the five areas of Lolth's faith. And why not fighter levels? Yathrin go through all of Tier Breiche, not just the temple. Is it so hard to accept a drow female may be highly skilled with a blade BEFORE she goes to the academy?
Back to top Go down
Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Assistant DM_MindFlayer

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 pm

As long as it is within the spirit of Lloth's Divine will I would think she'd encourage diversity and ability to adapt to any hostile situation, be it preemptive or defensive.
Back to top Go down
LoudDave

LoudDave

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Uncle
Back to top Go down
Vilesinger

Vilesinger

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:47 pm

I also voted spell level for Yathrin rank. This has nothing to do with the Yath'tallar rank. Yath'tallar is different and should have different requirements. Yath'tallar is a heavy RP position with less need for strong power build.

I think a spell level of 7 is good as minimum for Yathrin rank. Character level is possible but a character could be weak in Lolths power but strong with fighting abilites and should not be a yathrin...3 cleric/12 fighter example.

I think many pure cleric levels are important for a high ranked position.
Back to top Go down
Xeneize

Xeneize

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm

//I'm going to go with character level... although why is 'Roleplay level' not listed as an option?
Back to top Go down
Shadowwolf

Shadowwolf

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Roleplay is to objective and could be seen as judging... which the server tends to frown on.

I am torn between Class Level and Spell Level... since some PRC's that allow Spell lvl progression in my mind do not fit what I (I use I because it is in my opinion Very Happy ) feel a High Priestess should be.

I feel if you want to cloudy your Divine rights with other skill sets then Yathrin and such is a fine place for you to be since you have chosen to spend time away from your Yath duties to train as such. I feel for Yath'tallar that a more pure build should be a requirement... after all we do this for RP not to build badass builds and if that is part of it then Yathrin is what one should play.
Back to top Go down
LoudDave

LoudDave

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 am

I said this in a different number of words on the other side of the playground.
I really dont want to spoil anyone's fun by agreeing with this, buuuuuut i kinda agree with this.
Back to top Go down
Karris

Karris

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 am

I am not really involved much in the Underdark, yet I did play on a nwn1 server once where I played a Yath - the system there was not as much bound on specific levels as much as the fact that to be able to advance to Yath'rin, you must command the power of life and death, and thus be able to cast the spell Raise Dead.

To advance even further to Yath'tallar, you had to be able to command powerful demonsummoning rituals and be able to cast the spell Gate. Needless to say, this created some potential loopholes which made sense in a way for the drow, but the system itself worked out for most.
Back to top Go down
Balar

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am

Most temples have a high priestess that s simply a pure cleric. Of all religions. Period. Multi class clerics are definately possible as well, as head of a smaller temple, in a more secluded place.

Multi class clerics dont really get screwed over imo, they just get different missions according to their set of skills. They get a different spot in the hierarchy. The cleric fighter gets the more thuggish oriented jobs ; the clerics with hips gets the most stealthy missions, yet they are all called yath'rinen. But when it comes to yath'allars and above, seriously... pure cleric lvls only Id say. In a big, 10 000+ drows town at least. Or cleric spell lvls. Yeah. Any cleric spell lvls that makes sense rp wise should be fine, except that +4 spell lvl feat of course.

Personally, I feel like pure clerics gets shafted a bit build wise, but if they could sometimes invoke the power of their god, via a little dm intervention, once in a while, I think it would be fun to see...
Back to top Go down
Assistant DM_MindFlayer

Assistant DM_MindFlayer

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 am

Based on the Poll results the ruling on this will be Spells Levels determine the prerequisite to becoming a Yath of any station/rank. Please see the Guide for details (coming soon)

Thank you everyone for participating!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]   Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level] Empty

Back to top Go down

Character Levels or Spell Levels? [Poll Closed in Favor of Spell Level]
Page 1 of 1