Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DM_AXE

DM_AXE

Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) Empty
PostSubject: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 7:18 am

You guys can thank DjNTech for this nice little ditty.

Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) Warlockyath

So if you are a warlock and you are claiming to make a pact with one of Lolth's favored demons. I want to know. Also I'll have to be doing more research on exactly what "if these individuals meet all of te other priesthood requirements" as I believe this is probably the test of Lolth.

I will be speaking with the other staff members on this issue just to get more clarification on it as well and maybe more of a ruling.

However if you are deemed to be part of the Church I will also put you under the same rules as the clerics with potential spell failure. If Lolth aint' liking ya, she'll easily tell the demon to cut ya off! And I am pretty sure they'll listen to her.
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:43 am

But I thought warlocks weren't beholden to the entities that they get their powers from. A warlock could make a pact with a demon and easily just turn around and undermine all said demon's plans. Demon would have to be kind of dumb to pick a person like that but.. *Shrug*
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:53 am

Then again.. If they're basically yath'abbans who don't have to do what Lolth says.. That'd be dumb. So yeah, keep the spell failure thing.
Back to top Go down
DjnTech

DjnTech

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 am

Quote :
But I thought warlocks weren't beholden to the entities that they get their powers from. A warlock could make a pact with a demon and easily just turn around and undermine all said demon's plans

A warlock only has powers as long as the pact giver finds the pact benefits it. The moment a warlock seeks to betray said pact and is found out those powers are likely forfiet.

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will
Fredrick Douglas
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm

imatechguy quoted complete arcane here https://dalelandsbeyond.rpg-board.net/t6397-re-warlock-origins

Quote :
p.6 Background:
Warlocks are born not made. Some are the descendants of people who trafficked with demons and devils long ago. Some seek out the dark powers as youths, but a few blameless individuals are simply marked out by the supernatural forces as conduits and tools…
… The exact nature of a warlock’s origin is up the the player to decide; just as a sorcerer is not beholden to the magic-wielding ancestor that bequeathed his bloodline with arcane power, a warlock is not bound to follow the source that gifted him with magic.

Also

Quote :
p.5 Adventures:
Many Warlocks are champions of dark and chaotic powers. Long ago, they (or in some cases, their ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for supernatural power. While many warlocks have turned away from evil, seeking to undo the wrongs of their former colleagues, they are still chained by the old pacts through which they acquired their powers.

Last edited by DarthOrgana on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DjnTech

DjnTech

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I think perhaps you are misreading the rulebooks

The bottom line is they are still chained to their pact. As in they must without fail always adhere to the binding terms of the pact or face its consequences.

You can not assume that a warlcok could betray this and still retain its power. As your post states he is just a conduit he has no power of his own

A pact is not something that is going to have loopholes in it that favor the warlock.
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

From Complete Mage
Quote :
Celestials: The mere suggestion that the paragons of
virtue would grant such dark powers to mortals seems at first
to be unworthy of discussion. However, some particularly
wild or chaotic celestials, such as the eladrins, share more
in common with the fey than with the archons or angels. Is
it so inconceivable that the mighty denizens of the Court
of Stars (the eladrin lords detailed in Book of Exalted Deeds)
might see fit to share some fragment of their power with
charismatic mortals?
A warlock who has celestial power to thank for his invocations
is most likely to be chaotic good, though such power
has also been known to corrupt even the most well-meaning
soul.

The power belongs to the warlock. They can do whatever they want with it.
This is also from Complete Mage

Quote :
Warlocks typically claim that this proficiency with magic
comes from their bloodline—or, in some cases, from a pact
made with powerful entities that permanently changes the
individual's interactions with the supernatural.

Last edited by DarthOrgana on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DjnTech

DjnTech

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

No where in those two quotes does it say the power is the warlocks

It only states that they themselves claim such. Which does not make the claim truth
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Quote :
Adventures: Many warlocks are champions of dark
and chaotic powers. Long ago, they (or in some cases, their
ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar
powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for
supernatural power. While many warlocks have turned
away from evil, seeking to undo the wrongs of their
former colleagues,
they are still chained by the old
pacts through which they acquired their powers. The
demand to further the designs of their dark patrons,
or to resist them, drives most warlocks to seek the
opportunities for power, wealth, and great deeds (for
good or ill) offered by adventuring.

And

Quote :
Born of a supernatural bloodline, a warlock seeks to master
the perilous magic that suffuses his soul. Unlike sorcerers or
wizards, who approach arcane magic through the medium of
spells, a warlock invokes powerful magic through nothing
more than an effort of will. By harnessing his innate magical
gift through fearsome determination and force of will,

From Complete Arcane
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 7:48 pm

DjnTech wrote:
No where in those two quotes does it say the power is the warlocks

Nowhere does it say the warlock is merely a channel for their patron's power.

Unlike, say, paladins, warlocks are never in danger of losing their existing class abilities due to alignment shifts.
Nowhere does it say this.
You might say a warlock who turns lawful good will lose his ability to advance, but the same goes for other classes like barbarians, and no one's claiming barbarians gain supernatural powers.

Also, from complete mage
Quote :
“I care little for where my power comes from. I
control it. It is mine to do with what I will. Test me
and I will leave you a broken shell of your former self
so that you may yet live to regret your foolishness?
—Morthos the warlock

In fact, the only instances of warlocks losing their powers I can find is with the divine based prestige classes.. And even with those, they only lose the special powers of the prestige class.
Quote :
Ex-Enlightened Spirits
An enlightened spirit who becomes non-good loses all class
features granted by this prestige class and can't gain any
further levels of enlightened spirit. You regain your abilities
and advancement potential if you once again become good
and atone for your violations (see atonement, PH 201).
Back to top Go down
VileNolram

VileNolram

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 am

has anyone ever done research into "demonbinders" ?...

demonbinder <<<--- click me

Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) Dx20070508_DrowUnderdark_Demonbinder
Back to top Go down
DarthOrgana

DarthOrgana

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Sorry, too awesome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)   Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch) Empty

Back to top Go down

Warlock of Lolth potential divine status, but still arcane(or eldritch)
Page 1 of 1