Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Surface Elves

Go down 
+14
CrystalDragon
Valnaire
Fuligar
Xeneize
Gaussafae
nlyh
FuzzieBunny
Ansient
Antious
nraion
Karasu
Kerali
Maskedshini
X sky X
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NorthernStarshine

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 am

This is an OOC thread. Feel free to relocate it to a better forum if you wish, but since it only regards the Underdark, I found it fitting to post here.

The D&D Book "Drow of the Underdark" states that "Lolth loves corrupting surface elves and making them suffer." They're not always sacrificed.

I enslaved a Moon Elf today and recieved some borderline grief for it, regarding the lore. But as the statement above says, they're not always sacrificed.

Feel free to discuss.
Back to top Go down
X sky X

X sky X

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:16 am

Well, I know what Phae would do..:

DARTHIIRI!!!! SACRIFICEEEE!!!!! *bloodlust burning in her eyes* XD
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 am

no such mercy is given to surface elves, who would be placed upon the altars of Lolth and used as sacrifices

https://dalelandsbeyond.rpg-board.net/t1476-drow-lore-rp

You point out a D&D book, while this PW is persistant in a Forgotten realms world. Those things you'll need to remember.

Yes Forgotten realms is much like D&D, but not all the Lore is the same.

Last edited by Maskedshini on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://Sallingmarine.dk
X sky X

X sky X

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:22 am

*points above* yup, there it stands. I know a vollunteer to kill it if you like Smile
Back to top Go down
NorthernStarshine

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:22 am

And what of Myre? (Fri-something now)

She's a surface elf and has been working with the drow and now is a slave since ages ago, never sacrificed.

Last edited by NorthernStarshine on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Maskedshini

Maskedshini

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 am

Perhaps you should have pointed such out to others, I for one haven't seen this happen, or I would have taken action.

Or perhaps there's something special about it which a DM has overseen, etc.

Have you even asked this char, or the player how come this Char is still alive?
Back to top Go down
http://Sallingmarine.dk
NorthernStarshine

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:29 am

Bottom line is, I would OOCly like to keep this slave and she would OOCly want to be a slave. The terms Li made for her ICly (Bleeding once per day, other forms of humiliation, etc) would certainly appease Lolth more than a mere sacrifice would. And a daily bleeding ritual will surely over time give much more blood for the thirsty goddess than a one-time sacrifice.

And no, I didn't ask her.
Back to top Go down
Kerali

Kerali

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

*wants to buy elven slave from Li*
Back to top Go down
Karasu

Karasu

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 am

Honestly I do think the Drow culture is diverse enough to have example of both cases. However one could expect she/he would became a target keeping a darthiiri alive, and perhaps not always because of the act, but as a weakness to be exploited.

Also OOC wise I would ask the moon elf player too where should the story goes.

IC wise: Nath is horrified! Young and breeding capable jaluken spill their life on the altar why the enemy have a chance to alive? In her eyes that is the sure sign of corruption among the yath. Smile
Back to top Go down
Karasu

Karasu

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 am

NorthernStarshine wrote:
Bottom line is, I would OOCly like to keep this slave and she would OOCly want to be a slave. The terms Li made for her ICly (Bleeding once per day, other forms of humiliation, etc) would certainly appease Lolth more than a mere sacrifice would. And a daily bleeding ritual will surely over time give much more blood for the thirsty goddess than a one-time sacrifice.

And no, I didn't ask her.

I would say find another reason behind the daily blood spillage. To follow that argument any sacrifice would be better without a murder as the blood would continue to flow.

Yet if the darthiir would promise something valuable in long term, like to bring down her village, friends to the altar Smile
Back to top Go down
NorthernStarshine

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 am

Li has her own methods regarding such. Before making the darthiir do important things like that, they'd need an extended period of time to be mentally conditioned.
Back to top Go down
Karasu

Karasu

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 am

Sure that is Li's IC decision, but others might have their own.

The hatred of surface elf is deeply rooted - after all the darthiir are used not only for the surface elf but to a traitor as well.

And I remember a scene when others questioned the other surface elf, almost killed her. She was the rothe of the bardess of the Zau'afin, right?
Back to top Go down
FuzzieBunny

FuzzieBunny

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:01 am

The fact that a surface elf is owned by a drow is suspicious. I would think itwould be more so for a priest. Myre's owner is NOT a priest and she and I have gotten tons of grief for it. Just ask around. Icly your both going to get harassed and if your not there another priest might try to sacrifice you elf. Myre does not walk on her own in the UD by herself because of this.
Back to top Go down
nraion

nraion

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:05 am

*facepalms* gah honstly i belive it depends on the char in question. just how important are they? or even what information they might have....
Back to top Go down
Antious

Antious

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:10 am

FuzzieBunny wrote:
. . .she and I have gotten tons of grief for it. Just ask around. Icly your both going to get harassed and if your not there another priest might try to sacrifice you elf. Myre does not walk on her own in the UD by herself because of this.

It's true, the first time I tried I nearly lost the character 8(
Back to top Go down
NorthernStarshine

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:24 am

The IC grief I understand, I was referring to the OOC grief regarding lore, etc.
Back to top Go down
Ansient

Ansient

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 am

Quote :
no such mercy is given to surface elves, who would be placed upon the altars of Lolth and used as sacrifices
Such is fine lore, but doesn't mean it always happens. They can be tortured first, and occasionally even kept as slaves.

Yes, 99+% of the time they'll be immediately killed/sacrificed. But that's not 100%.

See for instance this site:
Quote :
Elves

Drow do not often take other breeds of elves as slaves. Surface elves are usually killed on sight when discovered roaming the Underdark, and elves captured from the surface are usually made into sacrificial offerings. Sometimes drow will keep elves alive for a time to provide a suitably important sacrifice for a high holy day or as a special exhibition of torture. Such prisoners often wish they were dead soon after being captured.
I found this in some random forum post that matches my thinking:
Quote :
If Drow are keeping surface elves for slavery, it's not because they want any labor or work done, it's because they want them to suffer.

Imagine, a surface elf could live for hundreds of years... And I bet Drow would like nothing less for every one of those years to be filled with torment.

At the very tamest, they could be locked up in a lightless room, fastened immovably to a wall via chains with a ring of sustenence, never to see another living being ever again.

People would be traumatized after days of that, a little crazy in weeks, and downright mega insane after months.

...Years? Decades? Centuries?
Back to top Go down
DM_AXE

DM_AXE

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am

I really wish we had HUNAR the duergar as a slave.
Back to top Go down
FuzzieBunny

FuzzieBunny

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 am

I hear what you are saying. I even agree to a point. Everyone reads the lore different. Your going to get a lot of IC grief. As long as you both are ok with that then do your thing. Just remember you are a priest and you may loose face.
Back to top Go down
nlyh

nlyh

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 11:47 am

Haha bring Hunar here!

An awesome way to play a slave.
Back to top Go down
Gaussafae

Gaussafae

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Maskedshini wrote:

https://dalelandsbeyond.rpg-board.net/t1476-drow-lore-rp

You point out a D&D book, while this PW is persistant in a Forgotten realms world. Those things you'll need to remember.

Yes Forgotten realms is much like D&D, but not all the Lore is the same.

The Lore is what you the players make.

Also in the Lore, Lolth loves nothing more than the blood of her followers and particularly Priests. Think on that for a while before we judge someone roleplay.

Besides if they, your slave, turn into a spy, then everyone can tell you how foolish you are before you are punished. It sounds like a win win for everyone. If they don't let you keep the slave there is no roleplay with that PC. More roleplay hooks is why we all play a RP PW.

Last edited by Belsarius on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expanded idea)
Back to top Go down
Xeneize

Xeneize

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Quote :
Elves
Drow do not often take other breeds of elves as slaves. Surface elves are usually killed on sight when discovered roaming the Underdark, and elves captured from the surface are usually made into sacrificial offerings. Sometimes drow will keep elves alive for a time to provide a suitably important sacrifice for a high holy day or as a special exhibition of torture. Such prisoners often wish they were dead soon after being captured
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Welcome to the Underdark, were if you try to be different or go against the grain the IC and OC grief is not only endorsed but welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Valnaire

Valnaire

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm

The Underdark isn't about trying to be different or going against the grain. They warn you about this before you even first step foot into the UD, the RP is very different. If you want to be a unique snowflake, stay on the surface.
Back to top Go down
Fuligar

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Valnaire wrote:
The Underdark isn't about trying to be different or going against the grain. They warn you about this before you even first step foot into the UD, the RP is very different. If you want to be a unique snowflake, stay on the surface.

My statement flew right over the top of you obviously.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surface Elves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surface Elves   Surface Elves Empty

Back to top Go down

Surface Elves
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next