Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat

Go down 
+12
BedlamX
DrunkenSolamnic
ChiFlav
Xeneize
CallMeWhatYouWant
FFSDave
AsuraKing
MissEvelyn
Roveston
Dawizahr
comodohead
dak12attack
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat Empty
PostSubject: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 am

I have started this thread as a place for players to OOC discuss Shadowdale, ask questions and guidance and engage with me on Shadowdale and Shadowdale DM related things.  Please stay on topic and I am looking forward to gaming with you all!

Quick Introduction:

OOC Shadowdale Structure for those who want to know.:

Past Stories From Before My Time:

Shadowdale Event Schedule

Every Sunday through as many time zones as I can manage will be when I am running events.  They will be listed in a thread in this format: Chapter, Title, Scene, Theme of Event, NPC involved, level the event is designed for, Time in GMT -5.

Last edited by DM_Mirror on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added additional information)
Back to top Go down
dak12attack

dak12attack

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 9:07 am

A question that has always pondered to me... does the Law of Shadowdale stop at the extent of it's walls, or the land around?

Specifically, which areas are to be enforced? I can't seem to find anything that states where the jurisdiction ends. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 am

I am pondering this one, Dak. Here is my placeholder for my response.
Back to top Go down
comodohead

comodohead

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am

I would suggest to use the rule of "enforce your law where you can".
Back to top Go down
Dawizahr

Dawizahr

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:00 pm

comodohead wrote:
I would suggest to use the rule of "enforce your law where you can".

I don't want to bring things off topic, but I hear a lot of people talk about Jurisdiction when talking about law in Shadowdale. Forgotten Realms is legally a medieval setting (with a few key differences). The modern conception of jurisdiction is fairly irrelevant. In older law jurisdiction is far more loose, and really only applies rigidly to nation states. Shadowdale has no say in the justice applied in Myth Dranor and vice versa. However, if a known murderer were caught in either town/city they may very well be tried and executed/jailed. Law does not end at the city borders, but most laws are not enforced rigidly past the city borders. Obviously if you went to another Dale and started trying to be the law the local authorities would take umbrage and might even arrest you.

What comodohead says here is pretty much correct. If someone comes to you and says, "So and so attacked someone and killed them outside of town at such and such location." You might very well say, "Alright. If he comes into town we'll hang him." (of course that would rely on the testimony being believable and the witness credible).

A sheriff would likely not go out of their way to track the individual down unless the one killed was someone from town or someone they knew. It really depends on the immediacy and magnitude of the threat. The most they would do is put out a warrant for their arrest which might be serviced by local bounty hunters. There is a reason that bounty hunters exist. The sheriff and authorities do not track most offenders down. It would be a tremendous waste of their time and resources, which isn't even to mention the risk.

This is merely my opinion and I'm not a legal scholar so if I say something incorrect, feel free to correct me.
Back to top Go down
Hasbeengoing

Hasbeengoing

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Kinda a build off from what Dawizahr posted:

In older times in the united states when the west were still territories or just became new states, if you got across the border from one state to another you were pretty much in the clear, unless you were important enough for federal lawmen to chase you down or you were worth a lot of money.
Back to top Go down
comodohead

comodohead

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:29 pm

My comment was directed to free areas, its obvious you dont try to overrule guards in their home. Regarding your comment concerning chasing down criminals. I suggest to hire mercenaries directly. This would give purpose to the merc guilds we have and possibly even make use of the assasination pvp rules that seem to be almost secret. Bounties could finally be claimed too.
Back to top Go down
comodohead

comodohead

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Now my own questions. Whom do I have to talk to for getting my characters ban lifted and secondly.. a while ago I paid 200k to the farmers as an repayment for Azzelas acts against the farmers and for the most part the farmers lives azzelas took as they refused to drop their lweapons in an uproar. Will this gold have any use? I received no answer about it afterwards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm

So then are we going with a more unregulated feel to the administration of laws outside of the immediate Shadowdale area? Authorities hiring mercs to catch criminals seems....idk, just gives me an icky feeling lol
Back to top Go down
Roveston

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 5:14 pm

my, i can't imagine shadowdale becoming shadier than it's been in the past year but i guess this time there'd be a proper reason for it. in case it's helpful there's still a few valid input coming from the past discussion about the suggestions to improve the government [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MissEvelyn

MissEvelyn

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Dawizahr wrote:
A sheriff would likely not go out of their way to track the individual down unless the one killed was someone from town or someone they knew. It really depends on the immediacy and magnitude of the threat. The most they would do is put out a warrant for their arrest which might be serviced by local bounty hunters. There is a reason that bounty hunters exist. The sheriff and authorities do not track most offenders down. It would be a tremendous waste of their time and resources, which isn't even to mention the risk.

I love this. Bounty hunter RP can be really really interesting.
Back to top Go down
AsuraKing

AsuraKing

Location : Look closely at your shadow, you might just see me there!... If not listen for the clanking!

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 6:36 pm

Fincaen Londrulen wrote:
So then are we going with a more unregulated feel to the administration of laws outside of the immediate Shadowdale area? Authorities hiring mercs to catch criminals seems....idk, just gives me an icky feeling lol

Heh, two of the deputies of Shadowdale Sheriff's office already are mercs, and a portion of the men working with the militia are mercs already, something like 50 npc Hounds. So it's not too strange an idea since it's already happening to tell the truth.  Razz 

Also I support the hiring of more mercs, it's a surprisingly hard path to take when everyone and their neighbor can be master swordsmans or mages.  Wink 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 7:15 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Dawizahr wrote:

I love this. Bounty hunter RP can be really really interesting.

Bounties is something else entirely, and I'm all for that.

Just seems weird to me that a NG town would hire, say, the Hounds.
Back to top Go down
FFSDave

FFSDave

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Quote :
Rumors are whispered The Pendant of Ashaba, the precious artifact Shadowdale's people chooses to give to the most deserving hero to be lord of their lands, has been found and a search has begun for the next leader worthy.

Just to clarify, is this lordship title for Shadowdale something that us players can accomplish and become or is it reserved for an DM NPC keeping that lordship authority in DM possession?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyWed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Let me take a moment to explain an important part of my introduction which I want everyone to understand who joins in this conversation and plays this game with me. In my introduction I describe myself as a "story first" Dungeon Master. I would like to take a moment to explain a bit what I mean by that.

We have agreed as a community that Dalelands Beyond is a role playing server. It is a place where the play-style of acting out your character inside of the setting of the server is encouraged. In order to play a part, or a character, you need to have a story, or narrative, to act your part in. The overall story and plot of the town of Shadowdale is what I will be using as the backdrop to write the plots which will manifest themselves as events in a coherent, ongoing story bringing the town of Shadowdale alive for the entire server to benefit from.

comodohead: I agree that there are areas where it is clear that Shadowdale law is plainly to be enforced. It is of course not these areas which need to be worried about. I would ask players to please avoid answering questions which are directed at me. It will only confuse the conversation. For your own question, I will first point you to the spoiler on past role play in the introductory thread. As I am familiar with your character, I imagine you understand that I believe having a ban lifted on him in the town of Shadowdale would be a longer term plot with the redemption (honest or dishonest) as it's theme. I am more than happy to write such a plot for you and anyone else who is interested, but I would categorize that as a personal plot and encourage you to speak with me about it privately. As for the 200k coin, I believe that falls into the same category.

While I'm thinking about it, these are the types of things I am talking about when I say I enjoy writing personal plots for characters. If you don't mind, comodohead, I will use Azzelas as an example to illustrate how I do these things. For those who don't know, Azzelas the character was banned from Shadowdale for IG actions. Comodohead as a player is interested in having the ban lifted. I typically will ask for as much information from a player on history, reasoning, intentions, plans, characters involved to start. The more information I have about where your character is and where you want to go as a player the better. I then take this information and take a bit of time to chat with, observe and get to know a player to make sure I understand their playstyle they enjoy, the types of stories they enjoy, the types of events they enjoy and once that is established, I "write in" the character to the ongoing plot at the perfect time for the story to be smooth, creative, challenging and fun for everyone who is involved. It can take time to do this sometimes weeks, possibly longer depending on the complexity of the story, so I encourage patience while I move the pieces and weave plots together. The story that manifests is sometimes completely different than what a player was expecting. I typically give a general outline of what I have in mind, but keep the details to be discovered in game through events and role play outside of events. Every one of the events I run are designed to encourage in game interaction between players even when I am not online, so please, take your time, play it out and always be prepared. Sometimes the smallest detail can come back weeks later as a pivotal moment.

Fincaen: Welcome to the community! I have not made a ruling on what will be implemented in game yet concerning the "jurisdiction". I will update the post below Dak's post as soon as I have thought the issue through thoroughly. There are past role play reasons that Shadowdale has worked with the Black Hounds. I would encourage you to have your character speak in game with a man named Curven if you would like to seek out the answer as to the whys. I also encourage you to contact me personally if you would like a personal plot.

Roveston and Asura: I encourage you both to pursue those in character goals in game during Shadowdale events. If either of you are interested in personal plots, please speak with me privately.

FFSDave: I have not decided on this. I am weighing what I am going to do about it. What I have decided on this regardless is; if I do make the Pendant of Ashaba available to a player or lord of Shadowdale a player position, it will be a long, involved and intricate story to get there. I will be watching both characters and players, their IC interactions, OOC interactions and personal interactions with myself while I am deciding. For immediate purposes, as a player I would advise every player that might be interested in such a story to play your character as if it were possible. I will make a formal announcement and ruling on this when I am satisfied I have enough evidence to make the decision.
Back to top Go down
CallMeWhatYouWant

CallMeWhatYouWant

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 6:20 am

Should we simply PM you directly if we wish to discuss character based plots?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 6:25 am

Yes and please do.
Back to top Go down
Aidan Airna

Aidan Airna

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 8:10 am

Here's a few basic questions I have.

. What's the current population of SD?
. How many homes/buildings/farms are now abandoned?
. How many homes/buildings/farms are still in use ?
Back to top Go down
Xeneize

Xeneize

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 am

For Mirror, a plot I am attempting to pursue:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
halfcentaur

halfcentaur

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Trip, Bryanna, Kendra, and Rwolf (that I remember) were looking into solving that salted earth issue in the north farms. Haven't heard much more since. Trip is dead at the dawnspire... folks are working on that I hear. Haven't seen Bryanna in a good while, Kendra went north for a lil soul searching or somethign, haven't seen Rwolf too much either.

Is this still happening or did it already get fixed. Thanks,
Half  pig  half  cat  half  elephant 
Back to top Go down
DrunkenSolamnic

DrunkenSolamnic

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Bryanna is around, I was on a short-activity notice I gave a month ago while I was moving and finishing up the work year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Aidin, please speak with me privately. I would like to know more information about your request.

Xenzie, I have seen your post and would like you to contact me privately with more details about what you are attempting to accomplish.

Halfcentaur, the same for you as well. I have our past conversations still, but I wouldn't mind an update. Also, be on the lookout for an NPC for the HoR for continuing plots of mine and the faction.
Back to top Go down
Aidan Airna

Aidan Airna

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 pm

(( PM sent ))
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 am

((I have made a ruling and spoken with all parties involved with the Banite in town story, I have contacted new parties in town with new agendas, please do not post over other people's posters on boards. Instead, approach me first with your idea and I am happy to entertain it and integrate it, but I want to make sure it is done in a fashion where every player is aware and working together to further the story, not to simply disrupt each other. I am not assuming anything about intent, for the record, I am speaking about a courtesy way to include everyone even through conflict role play with characters with opposing view points. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
Back to top Go down
ChiFlav

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 5:26 am

I have a few questions:

Has trade with the outside world basically stopped?
Sources:
Given the loss of trade and reconstruction costs, how is the city paying its 200 some-odd soldiers (plus other expenses)?
Is the homeless census data still accurate?
Is the House of Plenty orphanage full?
How close to opening is the "Future Shadowdale Basic School"?
Does Shadowdale ever have town meetings and the like?

Also, I have a plot idea for Shadowdale that I'd like to talk with you about. I'll send a PM your way shortly after posting this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat   DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat Empty

Back to top Go down

DM Mirror's Shadowdale OOC chat
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next