Dalelands Beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role-Playing Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights 2

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Failing Under the Falls

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ojaro

Ojaro

Failing Under the Falls Empty
PostSubject: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 11:45 pm

At the edge of a river crouched a man whose form was rather obscured by a heavy, dark cloak. Black, shoulder-length hair fell to frame a face that was concealed by a mask which bore the visage of a grinning skull. His teal eyes watched the rumbling waterfall before him, idly drifting to the three that would be his companions for this venture:

A gnome that he knew little about, a mage that appeared to have his sense about him and a half-elf hellion who worshiped felines.

It was only moments ago that a certain someone in this little troupe had walked through the waterfall and triggered an alarm spell. Other allies had chosen to flee as a screech signaled approaching doom, but these four were determined to press forward. Ghastly creatures still flew high above under the afternoon sun, searching for their prey. Thankfully, the four were well hidden beneath the shrubs and trees along the river. With a deep breath, Jhyn nodded and extended his hands toward his comrades. "We move."

As Mineva and Arran linked arms with him, and Sordoc hopped upon his back, the Ninja took them all into the Ethereal Plane with a single step. The world around the quartet of adventurers became pale, gray and ghostly. When Jhyn walked over the water's edge, his feet did not sink, but were firmly placed as if the surface were solid. The laws of nature worked differently in this plane of existence. Step after step, the masked man guided his companions toward the waterfall, movement slowed somewhat due to the gnome upon his back. This trip did not take long and within mere minutes, the four stepped beyond the rumbling falls, emerging dry upon a terrace of dirt and stone on the other side.

The moment the party stepped back onto the Material Plane was the moment that the pale grayness faded into the muted color of the cove they found themselves in. Before them was the entrance to their curiosity, a natural tunnel that stretched far into an ominous darkness. Once he disentangled himself from his companions, Jhyn peered into the abyss ahead and saw only the gloom staring back.

"Hmph. ." He hummed, the hairs on the back of his neck standing as a paranoid itch began to flare up. "We'll need to move slowly. Check for traps, if you can, I doubt that alarm was the only defense." He murmured to the others.
Back to top Go down
Z374

Z374

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 4:23 am

Are any'a ya well versed in traps?  She looked to her comrades.  Arran shook his head, Jhyn as well and the gnome mentioned something about normally just hoping for the best.  Most people I know call that the Dwarven method.  The Calishite mumbled to Sordoc.  Guess m'still scouting then. Arran, if y'see 'r detect any arcane traps, let me know.  In the dark cavern her golden eyes seemed to shine dimly.  Together the quartet moved through the dark but it wasn't long before Mineva raised an opened hand and called in a whisper for them to hold.  Pressure plates on the floor.  Out of habit she began to try to discern what the plates did.  She guessed it would be for negative energy traps.

Jhyn yanked her back by her chainshirt collar.  "Another one of those wards."  The ninja muttered at her, still likely annoyed with her tripping the alarm earlier.  They conversed a moment before Arran uttered a few words of an incantation and sending a dispelling forth.  After a moment she looked back to Jhyn and he gave a nod to confirm the ward had been taken down without issue.  Still the pressure plates gave her cause for concern, the ward didn't need those to go off.  She took out one of her adamantine daggers and wedged it between the floor and the plate.  Slowly she coerced the plate up and found a gas trap underneath.  Gas traps had always got the best coin from the merchants but she didn't have time to properly recover it so she just cut the trigger spring to disarm it.

As they went down the corridor she ended up disabling two gas traps, three negative energy traps and one excessively intricate spike trap.  The last of which she had to trigger then jam it from resetting so she could just remove the spikes and clear their path.  The cave seemed to open into wider space ahead but before they entered the room they had to handle one more alarm ward.  While Mineva had the sight advantage at first in the poorly lit cavern, the others had started to acclimate and could see the expanse of the opening before them.  In the middle of the room there was a large pile of bones.  Five tunnels, including the one we just came through.  Which way d'ya think we should go?  

The pile of bones stirred so she grabbed her maces...
Back to top Go down
http://sleepingwrath.deviantart.com/gallery/
Gorebash

Gorebash

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 5:25 am

"Bit of a place, ain't it? A bit orn tha dirty an' grey side" mutters Sordoc, still somewhat disorientated from the trip through the etherium. He trails behind the scout, somewhat ready to leap if need be. As he steps into the centralized room, surveying the expanses and the large pile of bones, there comes a deep rasp and groan echoing round the chambers. The dust surround the chamber begins to swirl and dance around the pile of bones, many of which seem to come from many unrecognisable remains.

Suddenly a flare along one of the walls begins to light, giving off a strange octarine light. Then another bursts into flame, and another. Soon many torches are burst into light as the dust continues to swirl around and around the pile of bones, as they begin to stir and move. Slowly at first and then with speed as the bones begin to assemble themselves into a monstrous mockery of a giant. As it assembles, it reachs out one hand to grab the largest bone in the pile, that looks like some ancient titan's thighbone.

"Wha' tha hells be tha'?" shouts Sordoc, as the others prepare for the assault of this twisted mockery. As Mineva rushes forward, Sordoc darts to the left, rummaging round for anything useful against the giant skeletal thing. The bone golem sweeps around with the titan's thighbone, trying to hit the multiple assailants and kill those who dare to invade it's sanctum. With it's attention on Mineva, Sordoc pauses slightly to grab something from the bottom of his bag. Too busy trying to grab the item, he doesn't see the wide back swing of the bone golem. Wthe barely a chance to cry out the head of the thigh bone strikes Sordoc centrally, lifting him off his feet and sending him backwards towards a passage off the chamber leading down. His bag is ripped from his hands and is sent flying, still open.

As the bag tumbles through the air, several glinting items tumble from the top of the bag, several highly dangerous and improved lantanese incendiary devices. The gnomish firebombs strike the cracked and damaged wall with force and break open. One manages to get stuck in a large crack running down the wall. As the devices crack and detonate, the cracking running the wall runs wider, stretching with ferocious speed along the wall, the floor and the ceiling. With Alarm and speed and juddering rumbling, the cracks spread, getting wider and longer until... *booom* with a rumble, rubble begins to fall from one wall and ceiling, parts of the roof begin to collapse.

Last edited by Gorebash on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arran Ryen

Arran Ryen

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 pm

The Mage covered his eyes, his preparations ruined, the spell to destroy the undead monster was a long and precise one, interrupted by the massive blast. It was all he could do to switch pace. Casting a great defensive shield, holding the rubble back. It became quickly apparent that this was not enough, cracking and splintering all the magical barrier could do was buy the group some time. He blast the creature with a few volleys of force missiles to hopefully soften it up fearing anything more powerful would threaten to speed the deterioration of the room, the magics splintering bone but hardly stopping the monstrosity.

But more than a single beast resided in that massive pile of bones, skeletons of various shapes and sizes began to rise from the mass. Slowly assembling snapping themselves together, moving to flank and attack the party, an uncharacteristic bolt of lightning extended from the mage, dispatching several but it was a useless endeavor. The skeletal minions reassembled as if nothing had happened at all. As the ceiling could take no more stress the shield faltered massive tiles began to fall, crushing indiscriminately.  

He looked for ways out, and chose the closest passage to move for. A plaintive cry "Run! This is our only chance!...." before He realized he had lost track of the others as the ceiling rapidly deteriorated, earth and stone pouring from in-between the cracks before falling entirely. He had tried to hold the sections above the party the longest, hopefully giving them time, they would need it. To fight, or flee or whatever they hoped to do, he was cut off from them now.

Arran didn't know how much of the room had collapsed all he knew was that his way out of the hallway would have to be different from his way in. He followed it deeper, a whisper of magical words, he closed his eyes seeing all around him without the illusion of sight. The sense of urgency lost he strolled down into the dark, no point in running when there is no where to get to.
Back to top Go down
Z374

Z374

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 12:59 am

Gods damned gnomes  Mineva thought to herself as she had to bob, weave and lunge away from falling debris and the large femur club being swung at her.  She'd ended up being driven back in the to entry portion of the cave they'd just come from.  Gods damned mage, if he dies or gets hurt I know Ardylan is going to blame me. I swear he doesn't like me.  One of the skeletons had survived the falling pieces of stone and earth.   When it charged she snapped her cloak, buffeting the air and kicking up a good cloud of dust and dirt.  Keep coming.

Bones clattered and came through the cloud but she'd sidestepped and her left mace came upward, meeting the jawbone.  The jaw caved and the rest of the skull did in the front and to be sure she brought the right mace in and slammed it through the hips, breaking the spine off where it connects to the pelvic bone.  There wasn't a chance for a third strike, she heard the howl of that crude cudgel coming.  It was a narrow miss as she had to dive to low and away, rolling back up onto her feet.  For a moment she thought to herself.

Just leave them, you can get out, there's still time. No, don't be a coward.  Survival is more important than fear or bravery.  Damn it, what would Bryanna do?  What? Why am I asking myself that? I'm not her, she worries about honor too much... worried.

Her argument with herself set a rage ablaze in her heart with that final word as she thought of her lost friend.  She gave a flick of her wrist, activating a few wands mounted in her bracer, mumbling of a few words in elven.  Before her, the monstrous construct lumbered closer and brought an arm up and back to wind up it's next strike.  Angrily she charged in.  The swing was too high, she'd ducked under it with a somersault easily enough.  From the motion of the arm she could see the follow up attack was going to be an overhand trying to crush her.   When it came she pounced to the side then lashed out her counter.  Maces glowing with flames and divine energies bit into the bone hungrily, leaving shallow indentations.  Luckily the scoring from the weapon's energies had done a considerable amount of damage when she landed the blows.  

Past the golem she went and around it, snapping her cloak when able growing a massive cloud of dust.  She remembered studying undead and constructs and the anatomy of them.  Above the dust the large skull loomed, searching for the living being that was Mineva.  The little half-elf targeted one of the knees, striking as she ran past and faded back into her cloud cover.  Behind her the femur club howled trough the air, rending part of her cloud, much to her dismay.  

I need to get rid of that but I can't chance getting too deep into the swing arc unless it's overhead again. I know...

For a moment she laughed before she sprinted toward the exit but slid to a stop as she turned.  Her maces were back on their hook and she had a small glass flask in hand, grinning.  She quaffed the potion and chucked the empty glass container at the bonehead.  The golem put up a hand in protest and minor defense.  That's when it started; her feet sank deeper into the loose soil and she began to grow in size.  Metal came over flesh and soon she was as tall as the unnatural creation she was in battle with.  A fist slammed into an open palm twice, clanging loudly as she finished forming into an iron golem.  

Now let's see how this goes.  Who knows how old that bone is.  I doubt it's reinforced like the animated ones are.

Always the pack rat she kept all manner of odds and ends for the unexpected and she hoped it'd pay off in this case.  Heavy steps carried her forward, ready and yet still worried but it was the thoughts in the back of her mind driving her onward.  Once more the bones cocked back for an arcing horizontal swing.  In response the iron Calishite twisted at the hip slightly and prepared a punch.  Both attacks were done in unison but were the enemy aimed to hit Mineva's new body, she aimed to hit the weapon.  Splinters of bone exploded everywhere, across her metallic chest, off the cave ceiling and walls.  It was a sickening sound really, hearing such a thick bone breaking, but it was music to her ears.  Constructs don't feel pain but she knew she'd sustained damage to her fist that had done the deed.

Boney fingers gripped at her arm and pulled her off balance.  She'd nearly forgot she wasn't the same lithe frame she was used to her in normal form.  Each step had a thud while off balance and she crashed into the cave wall.  All around she heard the gravely sound of loose rocks tumbling down.  Her eyes turned to the top of the cave where she saw a crack reaching through.  Quickly she brought her attention back to the lifeless hands scratching and punching at her.  The marks left on her shiny carapace were superficial at best but she didn't want to wait for worse things to happen.  She pushed back and tried to pin a skeletal foot beneath her own and it worked, causing her to bring the bones down with her on top.  Like a jackhammer she just started wailing on her enemy, crunching and cracking every bone she could with brute force.  

Beneath her the enemy tried to shake her off and in it's trashing managed to break her balance again.  She stumbled but shoved to her feet quickly and her enemy tried to do the same but the damage was hindering it's mobility.  The opportunity presented itself when the skeletal collaboration reached out to push to it's feet again.  Mustering as much might as she could the polymorphed half-elf stomped down and pinned the arm and the golem with it.  Then the other foot rose up and came down for the head.  However she only managed to crush part of the skull, most of it was still intact but it went motionless.  There was a sense of satisfaction as she defeated her enemy.  After taking a step back and to the side she focused and a shrunk down to her normal size and self.  

Pain shot through her hand as the damaged iron was now soft and bruised flesh.  She had to flex and close her hand a few times but she guessed her pinky and ring finger were broken.  As long as she could avoid any further conflict the wound would slowly heal from the magic of her rings.  That may take hours.

The thought came to mind but when she went to take a step the little henchman skeleton was grabbing at her feet.  Kicking it off with relative ease she mumbled, but when it landed on the remains of the bone golem the large arm that was still together shot up and caught her whole calf.  Wide-eyed she froze for a moment in panic before being thrown mercilessly against the stone faced wall of the cave.  Striking the wall left a nice split just above her brow as she felt the warm drip of blood on her cheek.  Dazed she looked around but her eyes came to settle on the monstrosity managing back to it's feet, one eye socket glowing, one crushed.  There was no club, she'd broken that, instead the undead fingers wrapped around one of the larger rocks that had fallen as a result of the explosion.  She tried to get up but the moment her belly tightened to sit up she felt a terrible pain in her side.  

No, no, no, no, no, damn it. Damn it all.  I need to move, now.  Adrenaline only masked the pain so much.  Three ribs was her guess but she wasn't sure and really she didn't care, each time she moved her torso pain paralyzed her.  As desperation grew she resorted to another wand, sending forth a flurry of magic missiles that seemed to stop just short of impact.  Resistance t'spells, I should'a known.  No holy waters either, well, this is a proper mess...  Mineva muttered bitterly and laid her head back against the wall, glowering at the impending doom walking her way.  

Maura, I'm sorry, tell Emily I'll miss her and make sure Kal's attitude doesn't rub off on her.  Raise her right.  It drew closer.  The wounded woman winced, even breathing hurt.

Aerandir, looks like you'll have to look for someone to start that family with sooner, least you won't waste years with me.  Closer and closer.  There was another drip on her cheek.  This one of tears as she began to realize this was it for her.  

Dav'rael, you're going to feel this too, and I'm sorry for whatever it was I did to make you leave me.  I wanted everything with you and still do.  I'm sorry....  Damaged as it was, the shambling construct was nearly dragging the stone that would crush her.  The cackling in her head wasn't her own.  It was her mother's, as was the voice that bounced around after.  Her eyes just looked blankly at the cave ceiling.

I told you it was all for nothing!~  Rage turned her stomach amidst her despair.

No, it wasn't. It wasn't! You're wrong! You'll never be right!  There was that crack in the earthy ceiling again.  Tears stopped rolling as she sucked in a deep breath and the pain peaked before she let it out with a scream.  Y'will never be right! F### ya!  The stone was lifted overhead to end her and she jerked her arm up again, calling out a word in elven.  The bones leaned back to avoid the orb of sound that fired past it's broken head.  Thunder boomed as the orb struck the crack and the vibrations of it did just enough.  A second crack was heard as the a sheet of stone broke off the ceiling and came down atop her would-be doom.  To save her legs she tucked them back quickly but the move required so much of her core muscles that she nearly blacked out from the pain.  Other stones fell down around her but luck was on her side and nothing came down atop her.

Outside the cave and throughout the forest it sounded like a lion was roaring.  Bryanna.  She uttered groggily as the sound brought the paladin to mind.  Stubbornly she'd always referred to her friend by that name despite all the requests she made to call her Kitara.  Mineva smiled sadly for some reason before she lost consciousness.
Back to top Go down
http://sleepingwrath.deviantart.com/gallery/
Gorebash

Gorebash

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 am

Sordoc's Path

The movement in the broad wide dark cavern halted as the battered and bruised body of rags finally bounded to a halt down the long stair way that led to the black expanse. The ragged body rolled to a stop amongst the floor of the darkened carvern, amonst which were scattered piles of rubble, decaying remains of various parts of once living animals and of odd carven flora. After a few moments the bundle of rags begins to stretch and groaned.

"Ooh...something new? Has the mistress sent us a new toy?" A multitude of voices hisses out of the dark.

Sordoc, in his damaged clothes, rolled onto his back, He squints, trying to peer into the gloom for the owners of the whispering hissing voice, he'd heard.

"Ooh, what is it? Another one of the small rats? Looks a bit big for one of those small ones, the heads too big." The voices calls again into the dark.

"Urgh...mo' be best idea... tha' was..." grumbles the gnome as he slowly and painfully shifts from his back to a sitting position. "So... who be tha' in tha shadows?"

The voices in the dark hisses once again, "It speaks... it moves... The guardian isn't doing it's job properly is it, my dear?"

The gloom rustles as shadows move around the cavern walls.

"No, it's not doing it's job properly, dearest... only one though... and barely a morsel for us"

Sordoc continues to discern the location of the voices, but they seem to come from everywhere and nowhere. He reaches for his bag, only to finally notice it isn't on his back. He slowly remembers the actions that led him down the painful stairs.
"Ah... crap... no backup fer tha moment... now ta deal wi' thissen... problem first" He mutters to himself.

"A morsel it maybe... but smell that... it smells beautiful, sumptious and tasty... of many magics and food...perhaps this toy will last longer then the last one... my Dear," The voices hiss excitedly, as the shadows rustle again.

"Hmmmph... I ain't ya dearie... who e'er ya be! Come art, show us yassen, I ain't inna mood fer riddles an' such" The gnome calls out as he unsteadily gets to his feet, his eyes adjusting to the shadows. He rummages on his belt and removes a battered but intact tankard and his flask. He pours himself a small amount into the tankard, and as he goes to take a swig, a large shadow plunges from the cavern roof. A wide thing beam of shadows strikes across the cavern floor towards the gnome sending him backwards and spilling the drink.

"Tha's me drink, ya be spillin', who e'er tha scrag ya be!" Yells Sordoc as settles himself from the strike. He whirls around, settling himself into a defensive stance as he scours the walls and ceiling for the unknown assailant.

The voices return, "My dear, this one has spirit, we might have a decent feast out of this," and the shadows dive again.

Sordoc, somewhat more prepared for another attack, dodges to one side and lashes out at the assailant. The gloves flash with radient light as they strike something both solid and not. The large shadow shudders and drops to the floor of the cave and turns in anger.

"It hurts... the little rat can hurt us," the voices wail in unison, the large shadows steps forward towards the light of the stairway, revealing it's large form as that of a monstrous nightwing, seemingly bloated in size, far larger then it's more common brethren. It's head draws back and then lunges forward towards Sordoc, unleashing a vast torrent of cold towards the stair way, leaving a thick trail of glittering frost and ice across the floor.

Except for a small spot around Sordoc, where it seems to have melted close to but not have touched the gnome, forming an almost perfect circle around the gnomes feet. Sordoc reaches for his wands strapped to his forearm and tries to ready it. The nightwing in it's rage and astonishment clambers forward and strikes out at sordoc, snaring him in it's claws. It spreads its wings, taking off towards the cavern. Sordoc is twisted around and grasped, held tightly by the nightwing's claws. He struggles trying to get at the correct location on the wand he carries, and gives a large wide slasher grin towards the nightwing.

The voices, confused, cry around "It grins, why does the rat grin so? Doesn't it know it will be smashed on the rocks below. Wait... isn't that thing a gnome... don't they-!"

There is an audiable click as the correct button on the dragon rod is pressed, and Sordoc's mouth opens in a torrent of belched flame, direct to the underside of the nightwing. The searing flames scorch the underside, causing some of the shadows of the nightwing to begin to unravel. The Voices shriek in tremendous pain and unison, as they release the grasp on the gnome and let him drop from the heights. The monstrous nightwing begins gathering magic as it begins the casting of the spell to return it home, as Sordoc lets loose with another dragon's breath from the arcane rod. The shadows blink as the gnome crashes into the ground as blackness and pain swarms in.

To be continued...
Back to top Go down
Ojaro

Ojaro

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 pm

Let’s go over what happened one more time, shall we?
“Fine,” he grumbled
You chose to enter the lair.
“Correct.”
You found a guardian within.
“Aye.”
Then you ran away?
Jhyn sighed heavily through his nose.
“I am not equipped for battle, nor am I of any use against the undead.” He explained for what must have been the fourth time now.
So you just assumed that the others would be more than capable without you?
The dark-haired man furrowed his brow.
“Yes, they’re all quite capable.”
And that was reason enough to abandon them?
A scowl quickly consumed Jhyn’s expression.
“I did not aband-”
But you did abandon them.

Silence filled the air for several minutes. The Ninja sat crosslegged upon a floor that was caked in dirt and dust. He leaned against a stone column and looked into an abyss that sank far below, mere inches away from him. It was a pitfall, surely. How far it fell, he could not say. When a stone was kicked over the edge, there was no echo in return. Only silence.

They’re still there, y’know.

His eyes were drawn back to the direction of the voice; to the mask he held in between thumb and forefinger. The skeletal grin and empty eye sockets stared back eerily.

“I’m sure they’re fine,” he said.
Oh, no. Not them. I’m talking about the ghouls, replied the mask.

Jhyn furrowed his brow. Of all the times for this symptom of insanity to return, he had to choose now. No, not ‘he,’ the man realized. Whatever voice was heard, it came from himself and not from the inanimate object in his grasp. And yet. . Knowing this did not quiet the voice in the slightest. Across the pitfall stood several animated corpses, at least he thought they were still there. When this conversation had begun hours earlier, the sounds of their shambling footsteps were all too clear, but they too had grown silent. They were watching, he knew it. They waited for their chance and they could wait eternally.

How long have they been there?
“Since they heard the sound of us- Of me speaking, perhaps.”

The mask chuckled in response, but it did not taunt. It would let Jhyn think and mull things over as it had done again and again. The man’s grasp of sanity would eventually falter as it had before, in the other dark place.

What was that stuff again?
“What stuff?”
Y’know.. The glowing stuff! The stuff you used to mark the walls.
“Oh,” he murmured. “It was a substance from the Underdark, a glowing poison I extracted from giant mushrooms some time ago.”
Do you think they can see it?
“The undead? Hmph. .” he hummed, unsure of what that could mean for the others. “It is possible, but they’re likely too mindless to read the messages.”

The messages had been meant for himself, during the initial bumbling about that followed the explosion within the central chamber. He could not see, at least not very far. For all of his ability when it came to stealth, Jhyn could not escape if he could not see where he was going. He was a ghost within these halls, lurking around the trudging minions while he explored. Several times, however, the Ninja had walked in circles. He needed a way to mark his path and the fluid, bioluminescent as it was, made the perfect mark.

How many messages are there? asked the mask.
Jhyn hummed thoughtfully, retracing his steps.
“Three.”
Where were they again?
“One before the blocked door, another in the halls that led to the den of spiders and the last is in the hall across from us,” replied the man.
Do you remember what they said?
The lids of his eyes, heavy as they were, shut to moisten the teal orbs while he thought.

What you see is not what lies ahead.’
Beware the glowing eyes and pull of gossamer webs.’
What we seek is here, across a chasm with no end.’

“Yes,” he answered after a few moments.
I don’t think the others found them.
“How can you be so sure?”
You’re still alone, aren’t you?
“They’re probably lost.”
They’re probably dead.
Another scowl crossed Jhyn’s face as he opened his eyes to glare at the mask.
“You underestimate them,” he growled.
Time doesn’t lie. You’ve been here for six days.
The news hit like a kick to the stomach.
“Six.. Days..”
Almost seven, the mask said in a rather cheery tone. Oh, and don’t forget the nights.

Slowly, but surely, Jhyn rose from his seat. His limbs were numb from being motionless and the effort he needed to stand proved to be exhausting. “Six days,” he repeated with a distant look in his eyes. Had it really been that long? Whatever food and water he had must have been finished within the first three. The dryness of his throat suddenly made sense, as did the gnawing pit in his stomach. All the hours spent awake in the dark had obliterated any sense of time he may have had. If only he could have slept. He would have been able to recuperate enough to flee this awful place. Alas, he couldn’t. Not with a host of animated corpses so close, watching in dreadful silence.

A quivering sigh escaped him as he stowed the mask in a fold of his coat. The dark-haired man turned to look at the stone column he had been leaning upon. It wasn’t large, no more than four feet high and two feet wide. It possessed a rectangular shape with a square face, age clearly shown in its dimensions. The stone was considerably worn from what may have been decades or even centuries within this lair, which caused the column to appear ancient. In the center of its square face sat the necklace, an apparent artifact of power.

That’s what you’re here for, he heard the mask say despite its place in his coat pocket.

Swallowing the dryness of his mouth, Jhyn reached for the trinket with a shaking hand. The moment his gloved fingers made contact, the artifact pulsed a yellowish color. His muscles constricted suddenly as a spell of paralysis was triggered. The man’s eyes widened and he tried to cry out, but no sound came from him. Only a hush of air and then silence. Seconds turned to minutes and those long moments may well have turned to hours. Tears began to fall from his eyes as the air dried them further. He could not blink. A single name ran through his mind as those tears fell; Kendra.

As a thousand apologies and a thousand more regrets flew through his mind, but remained unspoken by his lips, Jhyn heard the silence break. The spinnerets churned their gossamer strands to lower the horrid visage before his face. Eight glowing, red eyes stared at him, while a pair of cruel mandibles clicked and hissed.

He felt the first few bites dig into his flesh, but he never felt the last.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Failing Under the Falls   Failing Under the Falls Empty

Back to top Go down

Failing Under the Falls
Page 1 of 1